WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:02 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

SPOILERS AHEAD. SERIOUSLY, SPOILERS GALORE HERE. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

So, Mad Men has ended. What can I say? It didn't quite tie up everything neatly in a bow, but it also wasn't the anti-climactic ending I was expecting. It's sort of somewhere in the middle. The show makes it quite clear that everyone's lives will continue afterwards; with Joan,it has become clear that her passion and her work have made her lonely, yet, not quite. What she's getting into is far more valuable and rewarding for her as the ending seems to imply.

Meanwhile Peggy seems to face the other side of the coin, the fact that her drive has made her create connection, from friends like Don and Joan to a lover like Stan. And she has become the one that holds everyone and everything together, whether it's the company, the projects and now everyone around her. And in the end, I think that the show's final thesis is one about connection. Throughout the show we saw Don run away from everything: from his own identity, from his family and at the end, it seems like he has achieved accepting his past, his present and his future.

The final implication is that Don has utilized his most recent experiences to do the Coke commercial. A staple of Don's character was to create his ads basing himself on his own life. Yet, he had that irony that he couldn't quite connect with himself or the people around him. The ending suggests he has done this. If you want a darker, more cynical interpretation, you could argue that the show was also about the corruption of pure experiences by the media and marketing; Don took a valuable experience for him as a human being and turned it into something to sell soda. But at the same time, although marketing can be such a cynical enterprise, there are people who have managed to transcend it. The final suggestion is that Don and his people have achieved this and left a legacy.

Overall, I can't say it was bad, but I think I'm still processing how much I liked it. It was the complete opposite of what I was expecting and I can't quite make up my mind about it. If I had to rate it, it would be an 8/10 at the least, I think. But the overall show remains one of the best things to have been shown on television.

Also, I think that besides the Patio Cola ad from the early seasons of the show, this was the first time we saw an actual ad being played. I wish the show had done this more often. I really would've liked to see all the commercials Don and his team thought up throughout the show.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:00 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I wasn't quite prepared to talk about the finale, because I've been going through a rough patch, recently, and so my take on the episode is influenced by my current feelings. I don't really want to talk about it, but seeing Don going such a break down really it hard, for me. I think Hamm was amazing in the finale. The scene where he embraces a total stranger, for example, a man who was able to say the things Don might not have been able to say, was very cathartic. For the past several seasons we have seen Don plotting along, not really enjoying life, ruining relationships. So he runs away from it all. But you can't run away from that kind of baggage. So, I need to believe that Don has been changed by this, that he'll be okay. I find the idea that he just went on to write the Coke ad and went on being his usual self to be rather cynical. He might still be in advertising, and he might have been inspired by his experience, but he may also have given himself a new found excitement in his passion in life.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:39 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
I wasn't quite prepared to talk about the finale, because I've been going through a rough patch, recently, and so my take on the episode is influenced by my current feelings. I don't really want to talk about it, but seeing Don going such a break down really it hard, for me. I think Hamm was amazing in the finale. The scene where he embraces a total stranger, for example, a man who was able to say the things Don might not have been able to say, was very cathartic. For the past several seasons we have seen Don plotting along, not really enjoying life, ruining relationships. So he runs away from it all. But you can't run away from that kind of baggage. So, I need to believe that Don has been changed by this, that he'll be okay. I find the idea that he just went on to write the Coke ad and went on being his usual self to be rather cynical. He might still be in advertising, and he might have been inspired by his experience, but he may also have given himself a new found excitement in his passion in life.

I'm sorry to hear that, t3cii. If you're ever up for talking about it here or in the group or with any of us individually on Facebook or wherever, don't hesitate. I, too, think that Hamm was amazing in the finale. I was talking to a friend about the finale last night and I got frustrated because he thought the ending should have been about Don and co. putting the ad together. I may agree to an extent, but he added that he couldn't care about the guy crying at the retreat and I think he missed the point of the scene or of the finale itself. It was all about Don's journey and again, human connection. I also lean more towards the happier interpretation of the ending. It was a cathartic experience for me too, but I think more so because it's the kind of moment I've seen between people or experienced myself. I think that Don meditating at the end and smiling not only means coming up with the idea, but accepting himself and finding good in himself. I think that it is a big step for Don as before in the show he seemed to show rejection of those kinds of practices, and in opening his mind and his heart, he has found at least some happiness for himself.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:31 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Few shows have the privilege of ending like Six Feet Under did, the latter, despite being my favorite TV show of all time, had it pretty easy, I won't say more than that; but I do want to make it very clear that I was ready for anything in regards to Mad Men, such a powerhouse in television writing was always going to be an incredible challenge to finish, so I certainly don't mind much about how it tied things up.

In the end, Peggy realized what she really needed for herself, Pete embraced his new life with confidence and trust in those that loved him, Roger stopped being selfish and was made greater by sharing with others, Joan became the leader she was always meant to be, and Betty got to make decisions about her death the way she couldn't when she was alive.

And regardless of wether Don meditated for the rest of his life or went back to utterly murder the 70's with McCann-Erickson, he became a better man, and was finally at peace.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Watching this with my wife each evening. We are currently up to the latter half of series 5. (Joanie has been "sold" to a car-dealership bigwig for a partnership deal). Interesting show! I was a "creative" in publishing for 32 years which had it's own mad people.

Is it ok if I ignore this entire thread? I do not want to spoil anything. (I have no idea what happens next).

//Soup

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15