WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:26 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Dipshits...

This isn´t Fredy and Jason, or aliens and predators.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:01 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Makes sense to me.

A title should be communicative and while I'm slightly (but not very) surprised they're not going the Dark Knight route of titling in this instance, this ensures that people know it's a Batman *AND* Superman movie and that they will be facing off at some point. This makes it so anyone with the barest scrap of information about the film will either have their interest piqued or not. It's just good marketing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:50 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I jokingly thought they should call the movie "Superman vs Batman: The Movie", and am a bit surprised that's pretty much it.

Godziller66 wrote:
A title should be communicative and while I'm slightly (but not very) surprised they're not going the Dark Knight route of titling in this instance, this ensures that people know it's a Batman *AND* Superman movie and that they will be facing off at some point. This makes it so anyone with the barest scrap of information about the film will either have their interest piqued or not. It's just good marketing

Anyone who would even be slightly interested in Superman or Batman is going to know that anyway. Do you really think that some guy is going to go into a cinema, see the title (Let's say...World's Finest), and not know Batman is going to be in the movie? You think Warner Brothers is after that elusive market of people who go to the movies having no idea what they plan on watching?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:06 pm 

t3cii wrote:
Anyone who would even be slightly interested in Superman or Batman is going to know that anyway. Do you really think that some guy is going to go into a cinema, see the title (Let's say...World's Finest), and not know Batman is going to be in the movie? You think Warner Brothers is after that elusive market of people who go to the movies having no idea what they plan on watching?

It's still a great marketing move. I can guarantee that more people will see it as a result of it cutting out a crucial step in the process of gathering knowledge.

"Hey, a tv spot for World's Finest. What's that?"

As opposed to

"Hey, a tv spot for Batman vs. Superman. Sounds amazing."

The title alone sells itself. World's Finest does not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 pm 
Tired of Earth.

... they should call it 'Knight and Steel'

also, higher-res image

http://i.imgur.com/q9cuhsn.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:56 pm 

WJK wrote:
... they should call it 'Knight and Steel'

Sounds like a terrible buddy cop comedy starring Martin Lawrence and Shaquille O'Neal.

Or as some would call it: A buddy cop comedy starring Martin Lawrence and Shquille O'Neal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:37 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Am I the only one disappointed by that rendition of the Batman logo? Take the Superman shield out and it just looks lame.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:24 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

It's The Dark Knight Returns logo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:31 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

madvillain wrote:

Yep.

The problem is the logo is kind of fat and shapeless. I think something closer to Alex Ross's design might have been better if they were going for bigger:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:13 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

i am against a young up and comer i think we are way past that i think the casting of batman needs to be universally loved a guy the audience knows and likes or atleast someone who can gain the respect of the audience like how the fans were really happy with casting of Tom Hardy as Bane because he is a great actor or mcavoy as young xavier because he is also a very good actor or like casting mark ruffalo and jeremy renner as hulk and hawkeye.

i am thinking you need a guy like Ryan Gosling
or a Michael Fassbender

guys who are well acclaimed and respected actors with tons of range

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:50 am 
Tired of Earth.

I totally disagree. We don't need an actor who's universally loved because Batman is universally loved. Batman is the type of character who makes A-list actors, not the other way around.

madvillain wrote:

Well, that explains a fair bit. I still think it looks subpar, but at least I get where it's coming from.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:00 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

^yes but you have to remember this film comes out a mere 3 years after bale's last batman christian bale was batman to the audience for past 8 years it is gonna be a hard sell if you just get some no name guy atleast Andrew Garfield was a well respected actor with stuff like Social Network,Never Let Me Go,Boy A,The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus,etc. when he overtook tobey

i dont think an unknown will cut it at the point in time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:19 am 
Tired of Earth.

I don't get your logic at all. Audiences will reject the new Batman unless he's played by someone of equal or greater star power than Christian Bale? What kind of sense does that make?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:28 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

it is about getting the confidence of the audience bale was batman 1 year ago for god sakes and he was universally loved this isn't some random batman reboot 7 year after Nolan trilogy ended this is the world's finest the biggest dc film they can do not name Justice league casting batman is very important especially so soon after TDKR

not saying people will reject next guy just get a guy people will know and respect like how fassbender and mcavoy were well respected when they were cast as young xavier and magneto

you dont go and replace christian bale an oscar winner with some no name

honestly fassbender himself would make an awesome batman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:15 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Fassbender would be an awesome Batman, but he's already an awesome Magneto, which is the problem, and I'm sure we all know the fates of comic book movies starring an actor that has already played a comic book character for "the other team" before. *cough*catwoman*cough*green lantern* :lol: and it's not like X-Men is a dead franchise, it will have only been one year since DOFP when Supes/Bats comes out, and if he commits to being batman, I expect that will be the last of him as Magneto and that will be a net loss in my book.

As for the title, I really hope they give it a subtitle, and I would like it to be Public Enemies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:23 am 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

As much as I like Fassbender, his American accent isn't that good. Also, they really need to just name this World's Finest. Superman vs. Batman is just going to be misleading since it's obvious that they're going to team up by the end of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I can see Project's point, but I honestly would rather not have Fassbender in the role as good an actor as he is. There comes a point where it seems the same actors are being cast or suggested for all of the top roles in Hollywood.

Godziller66 wrote:
"Hey, a tv spot for World's Finest. What's that?"As opposed to"Hey, a tv spot for Batman vs. Superman. Sounds amazing."

So, in this scenario in your head, do the ads for this movie not show any footage of Superman or Batman? I mean, wouldn't someone think "Hey, a tv spot for World's Finest. What's that? Oh hey, its Superman. And...is that Batman? Looks amazing!"?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

madvillain wrote:
As much as I like Fassbender, his American accent isn't that good. Also, they really need to just name this World's Finest. Superman vs. Batman is just going to be misleading since it's obvious that they're going to team up by the end of it.

I don't like World's Finest simply because they are both (i assume for batman) early in their career's and haven't proven themselves yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:36 am 

t3cii wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
"Hey, a tv spot for World's Finest. What's that?"As opposed to"Hey, a tv spot for Batman vs. Superman. Sounds amazing."

So, in this scenario in your head, do the ads for this movie not show any footage of Superman or Batman? I mean, wouldn't someone think "Hey, a tv spot for World's Finest. What's that? Oh hey, its Superman. And...is that Batman? Looks amazing!"?

Jesus Christ, t3cii, maybe that was a bad example, but titles matter. It's no coincidence John Carter lost millions upon millions of dollars. The title was a large factor in that.

Just imagine a scenario in which someone simply hears the title. "World's Finest" vs. "Batman vs. Superman". It's not that huge a leap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I'm sorry, I just think it's a silly argument. The title might have mattered with John Carter since it's not as well known a property. That's not the case with Superman or Batman. This movie has a built in audience. It doesn't need to market to such a small part of the population. I don't think the title matters as much as you think it does. People saw The Dark Knight and Man of Steel, and neither of these titles tell the audience that Batman and Superman are in them. It's not that I don't think they should put their names in the title, I just think they don't have to be so banal. "World's Finest" might not immediately tell people not familiar with the movie what it's about, but anyone who hears the title can still look it up. It really is a non issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next