WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Watchmen Tattoos
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:27 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Lishum wrote:
I've decided on a tattoo. =]

Very nice. Post a picture when it's done, won't you?

For my part, I don't have tattoos and I'd never dream of getting one, but other people's bodies are hardly my business.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:49 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Sasso wrote:
SmilingSymmetry wrote:
You guys are all gonna regret this in 30 years -_-

I highly doubt they will. If they love the book enough to get a tattoo of it I don't see anything diminishing that love 30 years from now. Besides, a tattoo like the ones here are better than most of the meaningless and bland tattoos people have nowadays.

That's also a disturbing line of thinking. Is that how you make your all of your decisions in life? How it will effect you 30 years from now?

What seems like a cool idea when you are in your 20's may not seem like such a good idea 30, 40 years down the road. I think SmilingSymmetry has a perfectly valid point. A lot of thought and consideration should be put in when getting a tattoo. This is something that someone has to live with the rest of their lives. There is a difference between having a regret, and having said regret permanently tattooed to your body.

I'm not into tattoos. I don't have any problem with anyone else getting one, that's certainly their business, but for me, I'm not sure if I care about anything so strongly I want to put it on my skin. Particularly when most people wont see it anyway.

To each his own.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:42 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

The only thing i regret about the tattoos i got when I was younger is that... THEY ARE TOO SMALL! My more recent ones are on the bolder side. In tv graphics land, small print is called 'fly shit'. Don't get fly shit tatts, kids. We wanna be able to read 'em across the street.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:07 am 
Crimebuster

t3cii wrote:
What seems like a cool idea when you are in your 20's may not seem like such a good idea 30, 40 years down the road. I think SmilingSymmetry has a perfectly valid point. A lot of thought and consideration should be put in when getting a tattoo. This is something that someone has to live with the rest of their lives. There is a difference between having a regret, and having said regret permanently tattooed to your body.

I'm not into tattoos. I don't have any problem with anyone else getting one, that's certainly their business, but for me, I'm not sure if I care about anything so strongly I want to put it on my skin. Particularly when most people wont see it anyway.

To each his own.

You don't have to live with it for the rest of your life. You are able to have them lasered off. If you don't have a problem with someone getting a tattoo, then why are you commenting that an individual will regret having one in their 30s and 40s?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:11 am 
Crimebuster

:roll:

Last edited by 023 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:45 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Got these bout a year ago.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... 2a827c89d9

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=59888698

This guy is about six months old...Not Watchmen...but they're all part of my half sleeve.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=46307942

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm 

WhitIH wrote:
Got these bout a year ago.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... 2a827c89d9

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=59888698

This guy is about six months old...Not Watchmen...but they're all part of my half sleeve.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=46307942

Can't see 'em without a myspace account. Can you post 'em somewhere else?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:30 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Sasso wrote:
So when people get a tattoo they should take into account how it will effect their ability to "pick up" girls? Why would explaining the tattoo to their grandson be taken into account? I know I would be happy to explain the meaning behind such a tattoo and why I got it.

People with your thinking towards tattoos irk me to no end. You're far more concerned with what other people think about you and fitting into social norms rather than doing things that you want to do or doing things that mean something to you and make you happy. Stop criticizing people's decisions because they don't fit into what you would consider normal or rational, especially because the main thing influencing your thinking is how other people may perceive you.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was stating opinions and not facts :D 1. Comic books are considered nerdy 2. Tattoos are permanent 3. Tattoos of comic books are not "manly" at all. They could be perfectly dignified in the eyes of someone who knows what they're about, but not in the average person's.

It's not about what I think it's normal. It's about the fact that the instant you get that tattoo, you have just shortened your social acceptability. That's a fact. Don't criticize me for actually being realistic about getting a tattoo from a comic book (which, if you didn't know, are frowned upon, for good reason. When you have a whatever on your arm, and say "This is from Watchmen," most people won't know what that means except "COMIC BOOK=NEEEEERD RUN AWAY D:")

However...

EmPiiRe x wrote:
A real man doesn't explain his tattoos, he just growls and threatens you for asking stupid questions.

This is very true.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 pm 

There are few things I enjoy more than further restricting my social acceptabilty. :geek:
Having said that, Michael Stipe beat me to the Krazy Kat tattoo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:19 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

023 wrote:
If you don't have a problem with someone getting a tattoo, then why are you commenting that an individual will regret having one in their 30s and 40s?

I thought I explained my reasons pretty well, but maybe I should take another stab at it. I'm not saying an individual will regret getting a tattoo later on in life, I'm saying an individual may regret it. I was responding to someone who didn't understand that there could be negatives about getting a tattoo. Also, I said I don't have a problem with those who are into tattoos, meaning I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with them or wanting one. They could just potentially be a mistake. And me not being against them doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

023 wrote:
You don't have to live with it for the rest of your life. You are able to have them lasered off.

True, but I think most people do chose to live with them as it can be a lengthy, costly and perhaps painful procedure getting rid of them.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:29 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

SmilingSymmetry wrote:
Sasso wrote:
So when people get a tattoo they should take into account how it will effect their ability to "pick up" girls? Why would explaining the tattoo to their grandson be taken into account? I know I would be happy to explain the meaning behind such a tattoo and why I got it.

People with your thinking towards tattoos irk me to no end. You're far more concerned with what other people think about you and fitting into social norms rather than doing things that you want to do or doing things that mean something to you and make you happy. Stop criticizing people's decisions because they don't fit into what you would consider normal or rational, especially because the main thing influencing your thinking is how other people may perceive you.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was stating opinions and not facts :D 1. Comic books are considered nerdy 2. Tattoos are permanent 3. Tattoos of comic books are not "manly" at all. They could be perfectly dignified in the eyes of someone who knows what they're about, but not in the average person's.

It's not about what I think it's normal. It's about the fact that the instant you get that tattoo, you have just shortened your social acceptability. That's a fact. Don't criticize me for actually being realistic about getting a tattoo from a comic book (which, if you didn't know, are frowned upon, for good reason. When you have a whatever on your arm, and say "This is from Watchmen," most people won't know what that means except "COMIC BOOK=NEEEEERD RUN AWAY D:")

Umm...my post is still applicable because all you did was just reinforce what I was saying, proving me right as a result.

...thanks?

023 wrote:
I made this: Image

I'm trying to make an Ozymandias logo for a tat.
Ne thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated :)

It's nice, but fairly plain. I would add an Egyptian-styled border around the triangle to spice it up a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:34 pm 

t3cii wrote:
True, but I think most people do chose to live with them as it can be a lengthy, costly and perhaps painful procedure getting rid of them.

Indeed... sounds a lot like getting them!
You can always spot the lasered-off scar as well. Can't help but wonder what was there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

t3cii wrote:
I thought I explained my reasons pretty well, but maybe I should take another stab at it. I'm not saying an individual will regret getting a tattoo later on in life, I'm saying an individual may regret it. I was responding to someone who didn't understand that there could be negatives about getting a tattoo. Also, I said I don't have a problem with those who are into tattoos, meaning I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with them or wanting one. They could just potentially be a mistake. And me not being against them doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

Excuse me? Did you actually call me someone who didn't understand that there could be negatives about getting a tattoo? How dumb do you think I am? My post had nothing to do with getting tattoos in general and regretting them. I was responding to someone's post about a specific point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:20 am 
Crimebuster

Quote:
3. Tattoos of comic books are not "manly" at all

Well thank goodness I'm not a man then! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:34 am 
Vigilante

I'll be getting Doc Manhattan added to my arm this March!! It'll probably be portrait style like my Rorschach tattoo, with Manhattan in a suit. Think of that Obama HOPE poster lol

really excited.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:40 am 
Crimebuster

Nekronicle wrote:
I'll be getting Doc Manhattan added to my arm this March!! It'll probably be portrait style like my Rorschach tattoo, with Manhattan in a suit.

Ahhh that's so cool! You're my hero! Hahaha.

I'm all hyped up right now 'cause I drew Rorscach correctly for the first time [or at least proportioned correctly].
Class was boring so I had time... Luckily my class just consists of creating comic books. :D

Oh how I <3 going off topic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:09 am 
A pretty butterfly.

Nekronicle wrote:
I'll be getting Doc Manhattan added to my arm this March!! It'll probably be portrait style like my Rorschach tattoo, with Manhattan in a suit. Think of that Obama HOPE poster lol

really excited.

Why? You'll totally regret it. And be a virgin for life. And a leper.

:P

Portrait style is definitely the way to go. I can't wait to see it. Your Rorschach tattoo is still one of the best tattoos I've seen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:22 am 
Crimebuster

Quick question:

is this Veidt logo from the movie or is it in the GN somewhere?
(I wanna get a Veidt logo for a tatt, so yes, it is relevant)

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:25 am 
Tired of Earth.

*flips through the GN*

No, I'm pretty sure you can thank Snyder and his crew for that particular Veidt logo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:58 am 
Vigilante

Sasso wrote:
Nekronicle wrote:

really excited.

Why? You'll totally regret it. And be a virgin for life. And a leper.

:P

Portrait style is definitely the way to go. I can't wait to see it. Your Rorschach tattoo is still one of the best tattoos I've seen.

:lol:

thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next