WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rorschach
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:04 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

That was a pretty cool issue. Some of Rorschach's dialogue seems slightly iffy, but it was enjoyable all in all. Mostly because of dat art.

Also, I assume this is before Rorschach completely snaps for a couple of reasons, but I'm not completely sure when this takes place in relation to the Keene Act. It's kind of vague, since it takes place in 1977.

Post subject: Re: Rorschach
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:08 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Godziller66 wrote:

That was a pretty cool issue. Some of Rorschach's dialogue seems slightly iffy, but it was enjoyable all in all. Mostly because of dat art.

Also, I assume this is before Rorschach completely snaps for a couple of reasons, but I'm not completely sure when this takes place in relation to the Keene Act. It's kind of vague, since it takes place in 1977.

I'm going to be honest... azzarello doesn't understand either of the characters he's writing...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:13 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

I'm going to be honest... azzarello doesn't understand either of the characters he's writing...

Yeah, maybe. What things stuck out to you about this issue in terms of screwy character writing?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 pm 
Tired of Earth.

it was interesting, i look forward to the next issue.

also, i think the keene act riots take place in august/september.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

Godziller66 wrote:
Yeah, maybe. What things stuck out to you about this issue in terms of screwy character writing?

Imagine if instead of Rorschach it was Batman...

nothing else about the story would have needed to be changed. I was really hoping we'd get more look into Rorschach's fractured mind, not just a story with Rorschach being Rorschach, as fun as that is, I was hoping for a more in depth take, not just a face value story.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:56 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Imagine if instead of Rorschach it was Batman...

nothing else about the story would have needed to be changed. I was really hoping we'd get more look into Rorschach's fractured mind, not just a story with Rorschach being Rorschach, as fun as that is, I was hoping for a more in depth take, not just a face value story.

I kind of expected a face value story because that's pretty much what we've been getting with all the other titles. Which just goes to show that Moore mapped these characters' psychologies out so well that it's just another reason why these prequels are pretty redundant.

Post subject: Peachy Keene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:44 am 
New Frontiersman

Godziller66 wrote:

Walter Kovacs completely snaps in 1975 and 'Was reborn then... Was Rorschach.'

WJK wrote:
i think the keene act riots take place in august/september.

The riots precipitated by the police strike took place at the end of July 1977 with the passing of Senator Keene's emergency bill on August 3rd bringing them, and lawful costumed vigilantism, to an end.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:37 pm 
Tired of Earth.

well at least we have someone who knows all this stuff!

Post subject: Re: Peachy Keene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:46 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Walter Kovacs completely snaps in 1975 and 'Was reborn then... Was Rorschach.'

Well, I can spot at least one screw-up then.

Both of his lapels are on right.

Post subject: Wardrobe Malfunction?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:39 pm 
New Frontiersman

Godziller66 wrote:

And does he still have all the buttons on his overcoat, too?

After Rorschach managed to pull the left epaulette free and lose the top left button on his original coat whilst presumably picking up and hurling those two dead dogs through windows, he went on to acquire himself a new coat of the same style... which he, at some point, then also went on to damage in the exact same way as the first, spookily enough. The first dog blood stained version went under the floorboards in his room for retrieval when needed years later, of course.

If the BW Rorschach story is set in 1977 then he's only been wearing the replacement garment for a maximum of two years, making it entirely conceivable that the damage to it hasn't yet occurred; the original remained intact for a full eleven years, after all. I wonder if the writer and artist of this series have the wherewithal to provide a deft touch by actually going on to depict just how Rorschach spoiled his second coat? I can personally imagine the character having deliberately caused the trademark damage himself in order to subtly distinguish his empowered 'Rorschach' look from the previously pristine and weak 'Kovacs pretending to be Rorschach' appearance, thereby distinctly distancing the two incarnations within his own fevered mind.

Last edited by Writer Of Wrongs on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:17 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

And does he still have all the buttons on his overcoat, too?

After Rorschach managed to pull the left epaulette free and lose the top left button on his original coat whilst presumably picking up and hurling those two dead dogs through windows, he went on to acquire himself a new coat of the same style... which he, at some point, then also went on to damage in the exact same way as the first, spookily enough. The first dog blood stained version went under the floorboards in his room for retrieval when needed years later, of course.

If the BW Rorschach story is set in 1977 then he's only been wearing the replacement garment for a maximum of two years, making it entirely conceivable that the damage to it hasn't yet been caused; the original remained intact for a full eleven years, after all. I wonder if the writer and artist of this series have the wherewithal to provide a deft touch by actually going on to depict just how Rorschach spoiled his second coat? I can personally imagine the character having deliberately caused the trademark damage himself in order to subtly distinguish his empowered 'Rorschach' look from the weak 'Kovacs pretending to be Rorschach' appearance, thereby distancing the two incarnations within his own fevered mind.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:30 pm 
So impotent.

.. then there is the issue of shoes. Rorschach is styling lace up shoes here. He clearly wears Chelsea boots, Dave Gibbons has said so in the past. Then there are the pants, Rorschach is no longer pimpin' the purple pinstripe suit but a rather blah brown color.

Post subject: Big shoes to fill
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:44 pm 
New Frontiersman

Different artist, different interpretation... purposely tending more towards the movie look? I'm guessing they must be lace-ups with elevator pads, though, unless Rorschach is noticably shorter!

The particular style of men's boot with ankle gusset is certainly all the rage in WATCHMEN; Rorschach himself has favoured them for twenty years but they're also noticeably worn by Dreiberg and Veidt, too... infuriatingly so for any reader hoping to identify Blake's killer based solely (pun intended) on the assailant's style of footwear with which he kicks open Blake's door.

Out of curiosity: the absence of stylized shoes aside, does this latest visit to Rorschach's alternate NYC of the late seventies feature any of the numerous background details so beloved of the original, e.g. airships, spark hydrants, Veidt brand logos adorning all manner of consumable products, knowing posters and graffiti, et cetera?

Post subject: Re: Big shoes to fill
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:26 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Different artist, different interpretation... purposely tending more towards the movie look? I'm guessing they must be lace-ups with elevator pads, though, unless Rorschach is noticably shorter!

Actually, there is one part where a criminal underworld boss calls him out on his height.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Out of curiosity: the absence of stylized shoes aside, does this latest visit to Rorschach's alternate NYC of the late seventies feature any of the numerous background details so beloved of the original, e.g. airships, spark hydrants, Veidt brand logos adorning all manner of consumable products, knowing posters and graffiti, et cetera?

I don't still have the issue downloaded, but I only remember a lot of graffiti and grimy streets. It certainly captured the feel of 70's slummy New York, but I'm not sure if it captured the feel of Watchmen's 70's slummy New York.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:50 pm 
Tired of Earth.

no, that shit looked like it was straight out of taxi driver, man.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:56 pm 

WJK wrote:
no, that shit looked like it was straight out of taxi driver, man.

Yeah, you're right. I give it props for that.

But again, it looked like 70's slummy New York.

Post subject: Re: Big shoes to fill
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 pm 
So impotent.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Different artist, different interpretation... purposely tending more towards the movie look?

No.. Rorschach is still wearing pinstripe purple (just darker) and Chelsea boots (just rounder, same gusset) in the movie. I noticed because I've been working on a screen accurate Rorschach costume for a few months now.