WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:04 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Thank god...and if they fix Rorschach's conversation with Long...this might be perfect. Everything is there. Every minor detail and conversation and scene. It's incredible reading this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:16 am 
A pretty butterfly.

I scanned through that and here's what you need to remember:

- Zack's pretty much confirmed it like 9 times that Adrian lives
- Kevin Smith assured us that there's sugar cubes and beans
- Zack/cast/crew have all said that most of the time, the actors would be like "yeah i see the script says that, but the book says this, let's do the book's way."

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:04 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

also i am fine with no raw shark line because with goode's added accent it would be blatantly obvious LOL

this all sounds really good

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:29 am 
A brother to dragons.

Now for the most part...I like what I saw for the most part but as with many, was left stunned when I read about Adrian dying and the Blue Lightning. But for the most part it was the best they could do with so much material needed to be condensed into a 2:45 long epic.

While I am still very wary as to what the finish product is, as others mentioned, Snyder for the most part followed a chunk of the GN moreso than the script. The scene of Rorschach in the streets was omitted yet was clearly seen in the trailer. The blue lightning attack is a bit iffy seeing as how the explosion in the trailer definitely doesn't look like a blue lightning attack.
And I'm not sure where Snyder confirmed Ozy lives but I really hope that's the case because if he dies that makes the Squid controversy look like child's play.

BTW, I do like that the Malcolm Long dialogue was for the most part intact, but I don't really get the change by not burning down the house.

Also..."I triggered it 35 mintues ago"...? I don't get that change either...

Last edited by vdtdcutd5145 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:33 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

http://watchmencomicmovie.com/110908-ponderop3.php

believe he said it in that and that was really recent its at very end of video

yeah zach and company did improvise onset when doing scene i hear certain were added on set so stuff could def. have been added in all this is great news

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:38 am 
A brother to dragons.

Project862006 wrote:
http://watchmencomicmovie.com/110908-ponderop3.php

believe he said it in that and that was really recent its at very end of video

yeah zach and company did improvise onset when doing scene i hear certain were added on set so stuff could def. have been added in all this is great news

Thanks. I've seen this interview before but I guess I missed that bit. I have heard in reading previews and such that Snyder was keeping the GN close to himself almost moreso than the script so hopefully he keeps it even more faithful than the script.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:51 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Whew! Thank you, Guard-o!

The Guard wrote:
The method of destruction is a blue energy, generated from Karnak, that "infects the clouds". Blue lightning then spreads out across the globe.

Uh, wow...that's really bloody stupid.

That said, while the rest seems truncated & maybe a bit dumbed down, it's clear that Zack deserves a hell of alot of credit as the film could've been much, much worse. If the film succeeds where this shooting script seems to fail, it'll be because of him. That'd be fantastic if he actually deferred to the book in respect to certain character motifs (sugarcubes, etc). Can't imagine that he wouldn't film Rorschach jumping out of the fridge if he'd had any control over that decision.

At this point, for me, the film's quality is something of a null point. It's become a 2.45 minute cinematic novelty & it's faithfulness doesn't matter anymore. It's now like a movie star who cameos on a sitcom, sure it's cool, but then, so what? To me, the film is already a greater success than anyone could've predicted as there are people now reading the book who never would have otherwise. Alan Moore's in the mainstream now. He's recognized & respected. That's huge.

Maybe in 20 years, somebody'll pull an Erich Von Stroheim, but like Zack Snyder said "I think that if in the end the movie is a 3-hour advertisement for the book, then so be it. I succeeded.” At this point, I think that's probably all the movie should be.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:25 am 
New Frontiersman

This all sounds great to me! Sure some stuff may be missing but, as has been mentioned, who knows what Zack put back into the script.

I, for one, can say I was present for a lot of the Bernies newsstand stuff, including Kovacs bugging Bernie about the New Frontiersman. Even his scaring Bernie by creeping up behind him. And Kovacs had his sign for all of these scenes. They had him heading to the subway steps between the newsstand and the Institute after Bernie tells him the paper "gets here when it gets here." I don't know if they want Kovacs on the subway or if this was just a convenient place for him to go when he walks out of the shot. Long and Mason also frequent the newsstand, in separate scenes without Kovacs. All of these, of course are day scenes.

The New Frontiersman arrives at night and, before they cut to a truck pulling up, you'll see "headlights" playing over Bernie and Kovacs. Here's a bit of movie trivia for you all: They hooked up lights to a stand so they could be swung around casting light over Bernie and Kovacs. This was so they could get them to shine just right before cutting to a shot of the truck pulling up and tossing out the bundle. Well, trivia buffs, Zack himself handled the light stand and plays the lights over the characters. Also when the bundle is tossed down, Kovacs sees Laurie and Dan walking right past the newsstand and looks after them for a moment before turning to bend over to read the headline on the Frontiersman (the front page is an exact copy of the justice/masked one from the supplemental material. Even the copy is exact, I read it.) When Kovacs bends to read the headline, Dan looks back at him but doesn't stop and doesn't say anything to Laurie. They walk on. They are dressed in their alley fight clothes.

The Bernies stuff seemed pretty complete. The scene with the names happens just as young Bernie is noticing an "energy discharge" in the sky. Old Bernie mentions nuking Russia and about "being informed" in one scene. Even to the point where Kovacs is told by Bernie that he doesn't know when the new issue is coming in. To which Young Bernie says, "I thought you was informed." This leads Old Bernie to bend over him and point at the comic saying, "Are you going to buy that?" Bernie says no and Old Bernie yanks it out of his hands, closes it and sets atop his little area. Young Bernie complains about the issue being a "rip-off" in another scene. The Black Freighter comic prop is a complete version of the issue. It's not some comic they stuck a dummy cover on. It's page for page the comic we get in the novel. There is a Ghost Rider comic on the newsstand -- all of the magazines and comics on the newsstand are from 1985 (how's that for attention to detail?). The candy bars and chips looked modern, however, they oopsed on that. Bernie does have his little fridge. Young Bernie sits on a crate. He doesn't smoke.

Looks like we'll have to wait for the DVD for most of this stuff but I'm happy to say it was all shot. If anyone has any questions about the newsstand stuff, I'll try to answer them as best as my memory will allow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:06 am 
New Frontiersman

All this points to one hell of an 'Extended Special Edition Unseen Director's Cut' edition. This means I am going to have to buy TWO copies! Damn my weakness!

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:03 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

It sounds like a rather good script,except for that ending, which now we know has been changed and a lot has been added. But in this draft, does Veidt say if he intends the threat to be of an alien kind or wants to lay the blame on Dr. Manhattan?

Depending on how much I like the movie, I guess I'll also end up getting both versions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:13 am 
Minuteman

also i feel ozy and veidts story are some of the most important to the big plot.
Everything happening in watchmen moves because of this caracthers.
and the ending should be the part less changed (except the squid thing...)
this script leaves the story a bit watery down

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:23 am 
A pretty butterfly.

I don't know if you left it out, Guard, but what about Sally's rape and HJ beating on Eddie?

What about Comedian and Doc in Vietnam, shooting pregnant women?

Who's holding the Crimebusters meeting that Blake burns the map at?

videos we make:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:42 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

mike_tyson wrote:
I don't know if you left it out, Guard, but what about Sally's rape and HJ beating on Eddie?

did you read his summary?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:57 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Mr. Ex wrote:
There is a Ghost Rider comic on the newsstand -- all of the magazines and comics on the newsstand are from 1985 (how's that for attention to detail?).

Actually, it's piss-poor, considering the fact that superhero comics aren't around in the Watchmen universe. Pirate comics are what everyone reads, remember?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:01 am 
A pretty butterfly.

Smutty wrote:
mike_tyson wrote:

did you read his summary?

Scanned it last night... my bad. Just read through it a little more carefully, see that all questions were answered.

videos we make:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:27 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

Looks good. But would have liked to have seen Rorscach breaking fingers in happy harrys like he did in the GN.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:03 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I'm really really happy now. It all looks very promising. The only thing that I don't like is the 'lighting infecting the clouds stuff'... But other than that, this movie is made of liquid awesomeness.

"Do it for meat."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:10 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

KenWMFan wrote:
Looks good. But would have liked to have seen Rorscach breaking fingers in happy harrys like he did in the GN.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure we have seen the finger breaking Happy Harry scene in one of the video journals, so it has at least been shot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:14 am 
I DID IT!

The Cold War was about resources. Who knew.

This "energy signature" thing is never going to work for me. I'm sure of that, now.

Seeing Kovacs and Seymour in the same scene will draw unnecessary attention to their similarities.

EDIT
And who the hell would play ping pong with Dr Manhattan?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:37 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

#1 defender wrote:
KenWMFan wrote:

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure we have seen the finger breaking Happy Harry scene in one of the video journals, so it has at least been shot.

Here it is:

The screens are from the beginning of journal #6. Check out this sites video journal section.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next