WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:52 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

dejavroom wrote:
The possibility of Rorschach's journal being discovered or not is just another layer of awesome left there by Moore, but in reality the scribblings of a notorious loony wouldn't probably mean much. What matters more, I think, is the last panel of Veidt, his back turned to the orrery, an expression of doubt for the first time creeping in his face... I love it. Manhattan's last line was the real point: "For all we know you just bought some time. Asshole."

I would love to see Watchmen: The Snarky Edition, in which Manhattan's last line is "For all we know you just bought some time. Asshole."

As for Black Freighter, I hate to admit it, but that's my least favorite aspect of the novel. I personally feel that, despite its interesting purpose, it sometimes disrupts the story more than it aids it. By the tenth or eleventh chapter I groan every time it appears because I find it so tedious. However, I don't think it matters whether or not the squid's in the film for the Freighter material to work. The story is designed to mirror what's going on in the novel at the time and Veidt's general storyline. There are no real - or even really implied - references to the squid in Freighter, so to my mind as long as it accurately mirrors what's going on in the film and Veidt's storyline, it should be fine.

That being said, I will totally buy it if they release it as its own separate comic. And I do hope they do a good job with it, because whatever my personal opinions it is part of Watchmen and it deserves the right treatment. It does, however, worry me if the news I've heard is true that they're doing it as an anime.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:23 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Mister Pain-My wishful thinking agrees with you. But you know what? I'm beginning to see it this way: If there's a squid, there'll be one in the Director's Cut.

I suspect so because it's where The Black Freighter is going to be and because there is more time to expand upon the story and remember, kids, that Snyder said that the reason why he removed the squid was for time and as we all have been seeing, the movie keeps getting shorter and shorter (It runs around 150 minutes or so right now) but in the Director's Cut, Snyder will have a chance to knock himself out with everything he removed, so who knows, we might be getting a squidtastic ending, but not until the Director's Cut comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:25 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Mister Pain-My wishful thinking agrees with you. But you know what? I'm beginning to see it this way: If there's a squid, there'll be one in the Director's Cut.

I suspect so because it's where The Black Freighter is going to be and because there is more time to expand upon the story and remember, kids, that Snyder said that the reason why he removed the squid was for time and as we all have been seeing, the movie keeps getting shorter and shorter (It runs around 150 minutes or so right now) but in the Director's Cut, Snyder will have a chance to knock himself out with everything he removed, so who knows, we might be getting a squidtastic ending, but not until the Director's Cut comes out.

Please don't say that! It'll encourage speculation over the squid to continue until the DVD release!! Haven't you had enough?! :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:08 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The studio will not give them more money to go and film an alternate ending to please the people on WatchmenComicMovie.com.

Snyder has said that he's only filmed his ending, so, that's all we're going to be able to ever get.

The truth kind of sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:46 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Ominick wrote:
I would love to see Watchmen: The Snarky Edition, in which Manhattan's last line is "For all we know you just bought some time. Asshole."

As for Black Freighter, I hate to admit it, but that's my least favorite aspect of the novel. I personally feel that, despite its interesting purpose, it sometimes disrupts the story more than it aids it. By the tenth or eleventh chapter I groan every time it appears because I find it so tedious. However, I don't think it matters whether or not the squid's in the film for the Freighter material to work. The story is designed to mirror what's going on in the novel at the time and Veidt's general storyline. There are no real - or even really implied - references to the squid in Freighter, so to my mind as long as it accurately mirrors what's going on in the film and Veidt's storyline, it should be fine.

That being said, I will totally buy it if they release it as its own separate comic. And I do hope they do a good job with it, because whatever my personal opinions it is part of Watchmen and it deserves the right treatment. It does, however, worry me if the news I've heard is true that they're doing it as an anime.

In my first reading of the book, I just completely skipped (well, skimmed through) the Black Freighter. It did sorta just steer away from the story, and didn't have that much symbolism/connection. And I think the Freighter is filmed....Gerard Butler plays the main guy.

But yes, a snarky edition of Watchmen would be totally awesome. There is so much room for humor.

"The world'll look up n' say 'Save us!' And I'll be like, 'No u!'"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:50 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Snyder's TotBF will be animated, not live-action.

Butler will be doing the voice of the marooned mariner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:54 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

EmPiiRe x wrote:

I read somewhere Butler saying they're doing it as an anime. Which, as previously noted, I find very worrisome. I can't really imagine the mariner with huge eyes and an absurdly pointed nose. If it is anime, he could just hop in a giant mecha and escape the island. :geek:

Last edited by Ominick on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:59 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Butler did indeed say they'd be doing it in an anime style. He made those comments this past February, probably well before they started even working on TotBF (I think they were still in principle photography at that point), so, there's a chance that they've gone another way since then.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:01 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Ominick wrote:
EmPiiRe x wrote:

I read somewhere Butler saying they're doing it as an anime. Which, as previously noted, I find very worrisome. I can't really imagine the mariner with huge eyes and an absurdly pointed nose. If it is anime, he could just hop in a mecha and escape the island. :geek:

I bet you anything we'll be seeing fanfiction crossovers with One Piece. XD

--- Moorcock's Multiverse.

ARCHIE. 99 Accessories, but a dash lighter ain't one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:05 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Ominick wrote:
EmPiiRe x wrote:

I read somewhere Butler saying they're doing it as an anime. Which, as previously noted, I find very worrisome. I can't really imagine the mariner with huge eyes and an absurdly pointed nose. If it is anime, he could just hop in a giant mecha and escape the island. :geek:

Not every anime is like that.

See: Cowboy Bebop.

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:08 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Ghondar wrote:
Ominick wrote:
EmPiiRe x wrote:

Not every anime is like that.

See: Cowboy Bebop.

I do know that. Cowboy Bebop is in my top three favorite animes (none of which, coincidentally, feature mechas). I was just being humorous.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:14 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Since they're using Dave Gibbons' art in the comic that Movie-Bernie's reading, I doubt that the animated sequences will be far removed from his style. There's no single anime "look" anyway--TotBF in the vein of Naoki Urasawa or Ryoichi Ikegami would be interesting, at least.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:50 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

i really doubt/hope they dont go with an asian style of anime which everyone seems to be implying for some reason, but more like gibbons drawings.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:47 am 
Minuteman

EmPiiRe x wrote:
The studio will not give them more money to go and film an alternate ending to please the people on WatchmenComicMovie.com.

Snyder has said that he's only filmed his ending, so, that's all we're going to be able to ever get.

The truth kind of sucks.

Well, Lucas went back and fucked with the Star Wars trilogy... if Watchmen makes 900 million dollars, would it be possible that Snyder could shoot a "special edition" roadshow edition of watchmen, for re-release?

I mean, Soderberg is going to be showing his cut of Che which is over 4 hours. It's going to have a one week limited release around the US, and it will be showing indefinitely in NYC, for as long as tickets are sold for it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:17 am 
New Frontiersman

hank_chinaski wrote:
i really doubt/hope they dont go with an asian style of anime which everyone seems to be implying for some reason, but more like gibbons drawings.

There's some brilliantly animated films in the anime style that are hardly similar to the digested, cartoony crap we westerners are generally introduced to on TV and elsewhere.

For example:

Akira
Princess Mononoke
Cowboy Bebop
Escaflowne
etc.

P.S. - Anything by Miyazaki is great

- The Comedian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:33 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

If you add 'Appleseed', then that stuff is all the anime i have evr seen!
Unless you count all the 'Speed Racer' I watched when I was a six year-old...

I think you 'll find the anime treatment referred to is hinting at the techniques of animation, not the visual style.
ie. minimal layers, loops, tri-plane parrallax etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:32 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

The Battousai wrote:
Anything by Miyazaki is great

I wholeheartedly agree. Spirited Away? Amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:02 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

egosheep wrote:
EmPiiRe x wrote:

The truth kind of sucks.

Well, Lucas went back and fucked with the Star Wars trilogy... if Watchmen makes 900 million dollars, would it be possible that Snyder could shoot a "special edition" roadshow edition of watchmen, for re-release?

I mean, Soderberg is going to be showing his cut of Che which is over 4 hours. It's going to have a one week limited release around the US, and it will be showing indefinitely in NYC, for as long as tickets are sold for it.

Nothing is really comparable to Star Wars. Almost always, a Director's Cut uses footage that they've already filmed and completed, but that just didn't make the cut. They don't go back afterward, re-hire the actors, writers, all the crew, etc. They use preexisting footage and splice it in.

Except, of course, for Star Wars. Because it's . . . fuckin' Star Wars, and Fox would probably let George Lucas re-film the whole damn trilogy if he wanted to.

Last edited by EmPiiRe x on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:09 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

The Battousai wrote:
hank_chinaski wrote:

There's some brilliantly animated films in the anime style that are hardly similar to the digested, cartoony crap we westerners are generally introduced to on TV and elsewhere.

For example:

Akira
Princess Mononoke
Cowboy Bebop
Escaflowne
etc.

P.S. - Anything by Miyazaki is great

i agree, theres lots of great anime out there. i, myself, am partial to Akira, Ninja Scroll, Violence Jack, and Fists of the North Star, to name a few. (btw i cant find the original Fists of the North Star movie anywhere, which sucks cause i love that movie.)

but i just dont think that style would fit TOTBF. i say leave the "look and feel" of it alone. an anime style TOTBF buys too much into the whole 'manga fad' thats going on right now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:24 am 
New Frontiersman

hank_chinaski wrote:
i agree, theres lots of great anime out there. i, myself, am partial to Akira, Ninja Scroll, Violence Jack, and Fists of the North Star, to name a few. (btw i cant find the original Fists of the North Star movie anywhere, which sucks cause i love that movie.)

but i just dont think that style would fit TOTBF. i say leave the "look and feel" of it alone. an anime style TOTBF buys too much into the whole 'manga fad' thats going on right now.

I have no problem with using a Japanese animation studio to do the animation as long as the characters and settings retain their look from the GN, and it's fairly simple to accomplish that.

After all, the style of anime isn't solely the general look of the characters (or the excellent backgrounds), but also inherent in the process of animating itself.

I have a hunch they may have gone this direction, but we won't know until it's released the week of/after the film (can't remember which).

- The Comedian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next