WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:25 pm 
Offline
Nothing ever ends.

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:22 pm
Posts: 606
Location: Where gravity happens
I have realized I think, by now, what really will make or break the movie for me about Adrian's death. The actual yes or no of him dying does not matter. It is the way in which they show it. If it's:

Dan: "ZOMG heroic line!" *Heroic music playing*

Adrian: *Hit by owl rang* "UGH! Oh noes....bleh." *Dead*

Then it sucks, because it's destroying the essence of the story and TELLING the watcher what is right and wrong (besides degrading into the average good guy/bad guy thing).

For Adrian's death to work, it needs to be told in a way that says it's just what the characters are doing, not actually what is right or wrong. Dan snaps, so he kills Adrian. Cause and effect, not this is right and this is wrong. Plus, him snapping and killing Ozzy would actually underline the scale of the plot, so...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:31 pm 
Offline
A brother to dragons.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:05 pm
Posts: 1434
Location: Sarasota, FL
The only way Adrian's death would work would be suicide.

_________________
.
.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:31 pm 
Offline
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:17 pm
Posts: 1028
Quote:
How does the script treat Hooded Justice? Is he still the first superhero, and Hollis Mason's inspiration? Is he still always out when Nelly calls? Is he still the reason Adrian fought Blake to begin with?


Hooded Justice is in the script, and he is the first costumed hero, but he never speaks. He's mostly alluded to. However, Snyder has said the sequence where Hooded Justice beats up Blake is in the movie.

Quote:
Also, is the flashback where Dr. Manhattan talks with Hollis when he gets his statue in?


This is seen during Manhattan's Mars flashbacks.

The writers are careful not to make Adrian's death "right or wrong". In fact, you could argue either of these for Dan's actions when he kills Adrian's.

But it's a moot point, as Snyder has apparently said he survives now.


Last edited by The Guard on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:36 pm 
Offline
Silk Swinger of Suburbia
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1763
Location: Aperture Science
Despite the fact that it's a moot point, how is Adrian's death done? Is it the Hayter "You never hear them coming *Owlrang* Ughghghghgh" death scene?

_________________
I don't mind being the smartest man in the world. I just wish it wasn't this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:37 pm 
Offline
I DID IT!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:14 pm
Posts: 549
Location: Wales, UK
Hmmm... so Ozymandias doesn't explain how Blake found out about his plan.
If Blake's drunken rant to Moloch has also been shortened, just when do we find out how Blake discovered the plot and put the pieces together?

Hopefully, in the film, Veidt does now explain how Blake discovered the plot. We know Veidt lives and the "blue lightening" idea that Tse had in his draft is no longer used. With that in mind, hopefully this plot-hole has also been filled.

_________________
"Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:51 pm 
Offline
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:17 pm
Posts: 1028
Quote:
Despite the fact that it's a moot point, how is Adrian's death done? Is it the Hayter "You never hear them coming *Owlrang* Ughghghghgh" death scene?


It's the Owlarang thing. Which is odd, because they took Tse's much, much cooler and bigger Owlship crashing through into Adrian sequence, and used the Owlarang again. But they trimmed and shortened it, so that it's almost nonexistent. I have always suspected it was written as a "placeholder" for what eventually went into the film.

Quote:
Hmmm... so Ozymandias doesn't explain how Blake found out about his plan.
If Blake's drunken rant to Moloch has also been shortened, just when do we find out how Blake discovered the plot and put the pieces together?


Blake was keeping tabs on the former heroes at Presidential request. He broke into Karnak and discovered what was going on there.

Quote:
Hopefully, in the film, Veidt does now explain how Blake discovered the plot. We know Veidt lives and the "blue lightening" idea that Tse had in his draft is no longer used. With that in mind, hopefully this plot-hole has also been filled.


The blue lightning and expanding explosion, as seen in the trailer, is almost exactly how it is described in the script. I think it's still there, just not sure in what form.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:07 pm 
Offline
Silk Swinger of Suburbia
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1763
Location: Aperture Science
...wait, what "Owlship crashing into Adrian" thing? I never got to read Tse's draft before WB removed it.

EDIT: Never mind, I found info. That's really James Bond, remote-controlling the Owlship.

_________________
I don't mind being the smartest man in the world. I just wish it wasn't this one.


Last edited by BlackDoomShadow on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:08 pm 
Offline
Nothing ever ends.

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:22 pm
Posts: 606
Location: Where gravity happens
The Veidt Method wrote:
The only way Adrian's death would work would be suicide.


Uh...did you read the book? That is completely against his character. There's no motive for suicide.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:10 pm 
Offline
A brother to dragons.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:25 pm
Posts: 1442
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Hopefully, in the film, Veidt does now explain how Blake discovered the plot. We know Veidt lives and the "blue lightening" idea that Tse had in his draft is no longer used. With that in mind, hopefully this plot-hole has also been filled.


Quote:
The blue lightning and expanding explosion, as seen in the trailer, is almost exactly how it is described in the script. I think it's still there, just not sure in what form.


Hmm...Well...I'm not sure what to think no about the ending...So we may get an odd Blue Lightning ending of sorts...What still isn't implied though is that it was Doc Manhattan's thing as Snyder hinted to previously. Unless the blue lightning itself is the only allusion.

I'm still left a bit unsure as to what Snyder has chosen for a WMD-of sorts and who gets the blame.

_________________
"When someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!"


Last edited by vdtdcutd5145 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:11 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:05 pm
Posts: 149
I hate that they changed Rorschach's origin story. That was one of the things I was most looking forward to seeing on film.

_________________
"When Watchmen was first published as a serialized story in 1986, Rorschach breaking a finger to get information was shocking. Heroes didn't act like that. Today Jack Bauer breaks a barista's finger to order a latte."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:11 pm 
Offline
I DID IT!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:14 pm
Posts: 549
Location: Wales, UK
The Guard wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm... so Ozymandias doesn't explain how Blake found out about his plan.
If Blake's drunken rant to Moloch has also been shortened, just when do we find out how Blake discovered the plot and put the pieces together?


Blake was keeping tabs on the former heroes at Presidential request. He broke into Karnak and discovered what was going on there.


At which point in that script does it make this known to the audience, and how is it revealed? i.e. Who tells us that is what Blake was doing?

The owl ship, with it's advanced technology, can't withstand the conditions and has to crash land when it reaches Karnak. So how does Blake get there, break in then get back to the US?

The Guard wrote:
Quote:
Hopefully, in the film, Veidt does now explain how Blake discovered the plot. We know Veidt lives and the "blue lightening" idea that Tse had in his draft is no longer used. With that in mind, hopefully this plot-hole has also been filled.


The blue lightning and expanding explosion, as seen in the trailer, is almost exactly how it is described in the script. I think it's still there, just not sure in what form.


But from the trailer footage we see the expanding energy blast originate from ground level, with no lightning strike from above. In fact, the effects are exactly the same as when Dr. Manhattan teleports - this heavily suggests that there is no blue killer lightning in the film at all. Thankfully.

BlackDoomShadow wrote:
...wait, what "Owlship crashing into Adrian" thing? I never got to read Tse's draft before WB removed it.


It was an awful scene where Dan uses remote control to make Archie smash through the wall of Karnak and crush Veidt. Yes, even though Archie crash landed, it had enough left to be able to take out the "bad guy", action movie style!

Thank all that is Moore-shaped this scene has not been used :)

_________________
"Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:15 pm 
Offline
Nothing ever ends.

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:22 pm
Posts: 606
Location: Where gravity happens
Opium Sandwich wrote:
I hate that they changed Rorschach's origin story. That was one of the things I was most looking forward to seeing on film.


They didn't change it. They shortened it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:15 pm 
Offline
Silk Swinger of Suburbia
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1763
Location: Aperture Science
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Dreiberg. I expect you to die! HahahaOHSHIT CRAAASH"
"Lol"

_________________
I don't mind being the smartest man in the world. I just wish it wasn't this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:30 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:05 pm
Posts: 149
SmilingSymmetry wrote:
Opium Sandwich wrote:
I hate that they changed Rorschach's origin story. That was one of the things I was most looking forward to seeing on film.


They didn't change it. They shortened it.

If Rorschach kills the guy with a meat cleaver now instead of handcuffing him and leaving him a saw, then they changed it. Not to mention the dogs.

_________________
"When Watchmen was first published as a serialized story in 1986, Rorschach breaking a finger to get information was shocking. Heroes didn't act like that. Today Jack Bauer breaks a barista's finger to order a latte."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:30 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:56 pm
Posts: 193
How is it explained that blue lightning/explosions inspire humanity to unite?

_________________
You did it, Zack. Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:31 pm 
Offline
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:17 pm
Posts: 1028
Quote:
Hmm...Well...I'm not sure what to think no about the ending...So we may get an odd Blue Lightning ending of sorts...What still isn't implied though is that it was Doc Manhattan's thing as Snyder hinted to previously. Unless the blue lightning itself is the only allusion.


Veidt alluded to it. In the newest draft, the world realizes it's Dr. Manhattan's energy signature after the attack (There are short sequences earlier in the script that show the government can detect this signature), and believes it's been attacked by Manhattan. This is what causes the governments of the world to put off nuclear war, and to unite forces.

Quote:
At which point in that script does it make this known to the audience, and how is it revealed? i.e. Who tells us that is what Blake was doing?


Adrian tells Dan and Rorschach what happened when he is confronted.

Quote:
The owl ship, with it's advanced technology, can't withstand the conditions and has to crash land when it reaches Karnak. So how does Blake get there, break in then get back to the US?


The Owlship was de-icing when they left it. How does Blake get there? Any number of ways, I suppose. It's hardly relevant to the story. How does he get to the island, swim? (I know, I know, he probably did swim).

Quote:
But from the trailer footage we see the expanding energy blast originate from ground level, with no lightning strike from above. In fact, the effects are exactly the same as when Dr. Manhattan teleports - this heavily suggests that there is no blue killer lightning in the film at all. Thankfully.


In the trailer, it does appear that the explosion originates at ground level (Possibly from a particular building, an Institute for...something...). The blue lightning in the script functions as a sort of beginning of a nuclear-like reaction, and begins this wave of killer energies that sweep through cities and blow people into ash, demolish buildings, etc. It's not exactly hard science, but then, neither are teleportation and psychic shockwaves.

Quote:
It was an awful scene where Dan uses remote control to make Archie smash through the wall of Karnak and crush Veidt. Yes, even though Archie crash landed, it had enough left to be able to take out the "bad guy", action movie style!


Oh come on, if Veidt has to die in a "cool" way, that's about ten times cooler a "You don't hear them coming" moment than an Owlarang is. And it had been de-icing.


Last edited by The Guard on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:33 pm 
Offline
Silk Swinger of Suburbia
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1763
Location: Aperture Science
I have to admit that if someone held a gun to my head and told me to pick and ending where Veidt dies, getting dramatically rammed by the Owlship sounds better. The thing is, the script I saw claims Laurie then torches him with the flamethrower...kind of a funny resolution to the flamethrower running gag.

_________________
I don't mind being the smartest man in the world. I just wish it wasn't this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:36 pm 
Offline
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:17 pm
Posts: 1028
She doesn't torch him with a flamethrower, the Owlship's afterburners do when she and Dan leave Karnak.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:49 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:38 pm
Posts: 149
Does the "Pagiliacci" sequence show every flashback, or just the one where he's thrown out of the window? Are any of the transitions detailed in the script?

Is Hooded Justice established as missing, and being the cause of Viedt's grudge against Blake?

Does Sally's porno comic from the 40's fit in anywhere? I figured it did, I think it was in a poster, but I wasn't sure.

_________________
SeanBateman wrote:
As long as the blunt urine you're emitting is honest, you can piss anywhere you'd like


Last edited by fruityfallout on Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WATCHMEN TRANSFORMED
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:51 pm 
Offline
A brother to dragons.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:25 pm
Posts: 1442
Location: Washington, DC
The Guard wrote:
Quote:
Hmm...Well...I'm not sure what to think no about the ending...So we may get an odd Blue Lightning ending of sorts...What still isn't implied though is that it was Doc Manhattan's thing as Snyder hinted to previously. Unless the blue lightning itself is the only allusion.


Quote:
Veidt alluded to it. In the newest draft, the world realizes it's Dr. Manhattan's energy signature after the attack (There are short sequences earlier in the script that show the government can detect this signature), and believes it's been attacked by Manhattan. This is what causes the governments of the world to put off nuclear war, and to unite forces.


Ahh...I'm searching through my copy of the GN because I swear there was a mention of where the Gov't was able to track him because of his signature as you mention here.

_________________
"When someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.136s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]