WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:05 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I think that when they read 'The most celebrated graphic novel of all time', they'll google search, read that it won a Hugo Award and was included in the top 100 English Novels. Then they'll say: "Holy shit, I better read this quick and pretend I knew about it all along! Better like it and rave about it too."

I think it's the reason it sold so much when the trailer came out. "I still have time! I can read it and act excited before it comes out!"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:09 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

4d669 wrote:
I think that when they read 'The most celebrated graphic novel of all time', they'll google search, read that it won a Hugo Award and was included in the top 100 English Novels. Then they'll say: "Holy shit, I better read this quick and pretend I knew about it all along! Better like it and rave about it too."

I think it's the reason it sold so much when the trailer came out. "I still have time! I can read it and act excited before it comes out!"

Another "I'm the real fan!" guy. Watchmen is not "yours". Watchmen is not for the enlightened few. If you don't want more people being exposed to great literature just so you can say "I liked it first!" like a snobby little kid, then, well, you're 4d669.

If you read Watchmen 20 years ago, or if you read it six months ago, you're opinions are just as valid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:31 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

EmPiiRe x wrote:
4d669 wrote:

Another "I'm the real fan!" guy. Watchmen is not "yours". Watchmen is not for the enlightened few. If you don't want more people being exposed to great literature just so you can say "I liked it first!" like a snobby little kid, then, well, you're 4d669.

If you read Watchmen 20 years ago, or if you read it six months ago, you're opinions are just as valid.

How do you get all that from 4d669's post?.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:45 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

If you're somebody who's liked something for a long time, you can either welcome newcomers and be glad more people are accepting your favorite thing as their own, or scold them as pop-culture vultures who are just "jumping on the bandwagon". He made it quite clear how he feels about anybody who's new to Watchmen. If you're somebody who just recently got into Watchmen because of the movie, you're just "acting" like you know what the book is about, and will never fully understand it. Or so goes the second point-of-view. It's just not true. There will be many people who, in the coming months, decide to read the book, and their opinions of it and their conclusions about it will be just as valid and intelligent as somebody who read it in 1987.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:57 am 
Tired of Earth.

Settle down, EmPiiRe.

I'll be the first to agree with you that you don't need to have read the original comic book series to have valid opinions on Watchmen. Hell, if I may be so bold as to use myself as an example, I wasn't even born when Watchmen was first published!

4d669 talked about people who bought the graphic novel after seeing the trailer. That's great. Good for them. I hope they enjoyed it. Any reason to read the graphic novel is a good reason, in my opinion.

But 4d669 also talked about people who just pretended to read the graphic novel -- without reading a single page -- just to fit in with the newest trends. Should such pathetic souls actually exist, I can't see how it's any business of ours to worry about.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:27 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:31 am 
Vigilante

The Young Turks video is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. If they had set out to make a parody of uninformed geeks spouting whatever, it wouldn't be as funny as this. Too many good quotes to highlight, but the main Turk's bafflement w/r/t/ Nite Owl's Batman-ness takes the cake.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:51 am 
New Frontiersman

Whilst I would like Watchmen to be a big box office success, changed ending and all, frankly if some of the audience fails to "get it", then so what? Watchmen will easily make its production budget back and more, especially with DVD sales taken into consideration.

Frankly I am tired of Hollywood assuming the audience has little or no attention span, and little or no intelligence. I rejoice when I see a movie which doen't treat me like an idiot. If there are mouth-breathers out there who are incapable of understanding Watchmen's themes and symbolism, then who cares? There is enough vacuous bollocks made for them.......

So far everyone I have spoken to, fan and non-fan alike who has seen the trailers are interested in seeing the movie. I want Snyder to hit it out of the ballpark, and I would love to see more people brought to Watchmen.

If there are some cretins out there who want to criticise something they obviously have no knowledge of, then let them do so. Anyone who is a fan of the GN knows they are talking utter balls anyway.

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:02 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Darkweaver wrote:
Whilst I would like Watchmen to be a big box office success, changed ending and all, frankly if some of the audience fails to "get it", then so what? Watchmen will easily make its production budget back and more, especially with DVD sales taken into consideration.

Frankly I am tired of Hollywood assuming the audience has little or no attention span, and little or no intelligence. I rejoice when I see a movie which doen't treat me like an idiot. If there are mouth-breathers out there who are incapable of understanding Watchmen's themes and symbolism, then who cares? There is enough vacuous bollocks made for them.......

So far everyone I have spoken to, fan and non-fan alike who has seen the trailers are interested in seeing the movie. I want Snyder to hit it out of the ballpark, and I would love to see more people brought to Watchmen.

If there are some cretins out there who want to criticise something they obviously have no knowledge of, then let them do so. Anyone who is a fan of the GN knows they are talking utter balls anyway.

I share the sentiment and resent the fact Hollywood doesn't treat the audience better. However, I have come to doubt that audiences really are that smart when I look at the box office numbers and consistently see movies like Four Christmases doing better than Milk or Changeling. No wonder Hollywood thinks we're idiots. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me if a portion of the audience doesn't "get" Watchmen. That's their loss and our gain, because if some people don't get it that means Snyder's done something right in adapting such a complex work. I'm sure the crowds will still be large in March, which may perhaps nudge Hollywood in the direction of smarter films and bring more people to the graphic novel. We'll just have to see.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:00 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Um . . . Milk came out in exactly 36 theaters; it was a limited release. And Changeling was actually kind of bad for a Clint Eastwood film. Anyways.

It's sort of cliche, but I point to The Dark Knight yet again. People didn't spend $500,000,000 seeing it because it was just another Batman movie. It was a great piece of storytelling, and people relished being able to see a well-written story, with well-written characters, play out in such an exciting and unforgettable way. People are not stupid, and don't like being treated like they are. They'll see stupid action movies on the weekend because there's nothing else out, but they'll go out of their way to see great movies like TDK or The Bourne Ultimatum, and they'll probably see them twice. With what we now know from The Guard about how much of the book's "meat and potato" scenes, dialogue-driven dramatic scenes, remain in the script, I don't think we can say Watchmen is just going to be mindless action for two-and-a-half hours. After all, why would it be two-and-a-half hours if it was nothing but action scenes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:13 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

EmPiiRe x wrote:
Um . . . Milk came out in exactly 36 theaters; it was a limited release. And Changeling was actually kind of bad for a Clint Eastwood film. Anyways.

It's sort of cliche, but I point to The Dark Knight yet again. People didn't spend $500,000,000 seeing it because it was just another Batman movie. It was a great piece of storytelling, and people relished being able to see a well-written story, with well-written characters, play out in such an exciting and unforgettable way. People are not stupid, and don't like being treated like they are. They'll see stupid action movies on the weekend because there's nothing else out, but they'll go out of their way to see great movies like TDK or The Bourne Ultimatum, and they'll probably see them twice. With what we now know from The Guard about how much of the book's "meat and potato" scenes, dialogue-driven dramatic scenes, remain in the script, I don't think we can say Watchmen is just going to be mindless action for two-and-a-half hours. After all, why would it be two-and-a-half hours if it was nothing but action scenes.

Perhaps my analysis of recent box office returns was a bad one, but even if Milk had been a wide release I still don't think it'd be a hit on the level of other recent films. If I had the inclination, I could find several box office returns from the last year that would make the point that I failed to make here. In any case, you will have to forgive my occasional cynicism. You are right, of course, about TDK. I myself saw it three times. Maybe four or five. I can't really remember. More times than I should have in the theater. People do respond to good movies.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:43 pm 
Crimebuster

I recently showed 10 friends the trailer and here were their reactions-

1)"Cool. Could I borrow your copy?"
2)"What is that guy saving them from?"
3)"That looks like a really good movie."
4)"That was awsome. Are there any other trailers?"
5)"What the hell was that?"
6)"Sweet, Zack Snyder directed 300 right?"
7)"Is that the Justice Leauge movie?"
8)"Could I read the book?"
9) "Is that blue guy Martian Manhunter and the guy with the mask The Question?"
10) "Could you explain the trailer to me? It looked cool?"

"Have the people changed
Does it make you happy you're so strange
And in your darkest hour, I hold secrets flame
You can watch the world devoured in it's pain "

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:08 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I've shown the latest trailer to a couple of friends (who have never heard of Watchmen) and they all loved it. The people who say it's stupid (omg a yellow smileyface, how lame is that!! omg batman ripoff) are in a vast minority, I bet.

"Do it for meat."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:16 pm 
Crimebuster

At the end of the day, the Watchmen film is a movie and it exists in it's own medium that must deliver as a movie whether you know the GN or not. Did I hear questions about Nite Owl being a wanna be Batman? Yes. Did people tell me that the Comedian looked like Bob Downey, Jr? Yes. And don't even get me started on some people's lack of interests because they don't have superpowers. But the book sales, the news stories, and the fact that people are talking about the movie one way or another based on a couple of trailers is a sign that people will watch it. I can't remember the last time there was this much buzz after ONE trailer of a movie. It seems that Snyder has taken into account both the Fanboy/girl audience and everyone else to create a good movie. The nonfans have one set of expectations based on the trailer but some of the fans have a whole other set of expectations based on the source material.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:53 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

KittyGenovese wrote:
At the end of the day, the Watchmen film is a movie and it exists in it's own medium that must deliver as a movie whether you know the GN or not. Did I hear questions about Nite Owl being a wanna be Batman? Yes. Did people tell me that the Comedian looked like Bob Downey, Jr? Yes. And don't even get me started on some people's lack of interests because they don't have superpowers. But the book sales, the news stories, and the fact that people are talking about the movie one way or another based on a couple of trailers is a sign that people will watch it. I can't remember the last time there was this much buzz after ONE trailer of a movie. It seems that Snyder has taken into account both the Fanboy/girl audience and everyone else to create a good movie. The nonfans have one set of expectations based on the trailer but some of the fans have a whole other set of expectations based on the source material.

Well said.

"Do it for meat."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:35 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

KittyGenovese wrote:
And don't even get me started on some people's lack of interests because they don't have superpowers.

Safe to say those people have never heard of or seen The Dark Knight?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:06 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Sasso wrote:

Safe to say those people have never heard of or seen The Dark Knight?

Yes ,but as you know The Dark Knight is not a superhero movie.It's totally a serious crime drama. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:41 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

EmPiiRe x wrote:

nice picture.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:04 pm 
Vigilante

Wow. I've never been so frustrated before. That video is painful. Especially the part about "the guy who looks like Batman."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:40 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Wow. That video pissed me off too. They must have done some shitty researching, although the black dude had better answers than the other guy in the computer room. Silly Trekies. Wonder how they didn't end up coming to this site. And yeah, the fat dude at the news desk pissed me off too, thinking that Nite Owl was Batman, and going all crazy about a smiley face pin. Horrible analysis. Good to know I'll never watch it again.

BTW - I showed the trailer and comic book to a few friends, and they realized instantly that Batman was not in this story (they don't read comics but have seen comic book movies). They thought it looked pretty kickass, but I told them to either get their own copy from the library or buy one.