WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:19 pm 
Minuteman

Let's say that Snyder's movie is a huge success... do you think it will be the final word on Watchmen film or TV adaptations, or could there be other attempts down the line? As in a 12 hour miniseries, or an animated miniseries going beyond the motion comics.

Also, what are the chances of some George Lucas-style tampering down the line. If the movie is a TDK-size success, could the squid be added like they added Jabba to Star Wars IV? Or would Snyder feel that success validates his non-squid compromise as the right choice?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:35 pm 
Vigilante

Quote:
do you think it will be the final word on Watchmen film or TV adaptation

I hope so. Personally. But the rate they're pushing Watchmen crap atm,idk. Although, what'd be the point of a TV series? to see the same thing, but longer, and with inferior effects, and still not have it convey everything in the comic?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:40 pm 
Minuteman

i could imagine a remake in about 10-15 years assuming this movie owns life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:01 pm 
Minuteman

The Prince II wrote:
Quote:

I hope so. Personally. But the rate they're pushing Watchmen crap atm,idk. Although, what'd be the point of a TV series? to see the same thing, but longer, and with inferior effects, and still not have it convey everything in the comic?

Well, by TV show i mean a big budget, HBO-esque event miniseries, but yeah... even then the budget might not be there. Since this movie seems to be getting a lot right, I really wish it were possible to add the squid later, make it uncompromised. Like the star wars special editions, or the Richard Donner Superman II cut, or the 2 versions of the excorcist 3... obviously nothing can be done at this point, but as a labor of love, I wish it could be done later.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:12 pm 
Tired of Earth.

egosheep wrote:
The Prince II wrote:
Quote:

Well, by TV show i mean a big budget, HBO-esque event miniseries, but yeah... even then the budget might not be there. Since this movie seems to be getting a lot right, I really wish it were possible to add the squid later, make it uncompromised. Like the star wars special editions, or the Richard Donner Superman II cut, or the 2 versions of the excorcist 3... obviously nothing can be done at this point, but as a labor of love, I wish it could be done later.

Hence the Director's Cut DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:24 pm 
I DID IT!

I'll only mention this because I like the movie: 'Exorcist 3' is fine. Exorcist 1, 2 & 4 have multiple versions.
Somebody might add the squid to a copy that only exists on the net. Beyond that, I don't ever see it appearing in the Snyder film. He's not Lucas, and I get the impression this movie is a career stepping stone for him. The 'Superman 2' cut seemed to be the result of Zod's cult status, but I don't know if 'Watchmen' is heading that way.
An epic animation (drawn, not cgi) would be perfect, provided they stuck to the book and got the voices right. It could happen, somewhere down the line. Another live action film would probably be like ABC's totally faithful and low budget adaptation of 'The Shining'. It wouldn't be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:08 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I'd like to see a film of the years of the Minutemen, actually it's one of my future goals of a filmmaker to do it or at least, a story inspired by it, because there is quite a lot of stuff I'd like to add to it that I'm not sure if it would still be about the Minutemen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:19 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

If anyone thinks Snyder, or anybody, can go back and re-film stuff for a "special edition," do not fool yourself. Star Wars is beyond unique, and it was also being re-released in theaters in 1997, so there was a reason Fox financed going back and re-filming certain sequences (and even some entirely new ones). And the only reason they were re-releasing the original trilogy was to set up the coming prequel trilogy, which would be coming out two years later.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:32 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Mmmm, I was looking forward to the film of Michael Chabon's 'The Amazing Adventures Of Kavalier And Clay' for it's Minuteman-esque characters and settings. I was hoping they would bring some of the book's comic characters to life. But that stalled... again

*sniff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:02 am 
Nothing ever ends.

Was anyone else excited to hear they were making a more "faithful" adaptation of Dune in the form of a mini-series? That was, what, about fifteen years after David Lynch's film version?

When that mini-series finally aired, I managed to stomach about eight minutes of it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:43 am 

Oh lordy yes, that was a shocker. They had this one desert set. Every scene set on Arrakis had the twin moons low over the horizon, as if they were zipping around all over the sky to get in shot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:34 am 
Minuteman

If it makes over 400 million, you can be sure there will be a sequel, a prequel, a crossover, a remake and a McDonald's Rorschach Supreme With A Lot Of Beef.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:32 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

SammyTheBull wrote:
a McDonald's Rorschach Supreme With A Lot Of Beef.

I think a Wopper Manhattan is more likely.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:03 am 

"11 Whopper Manhattan's is my limit!"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:31 am 
I DID IT!

HappyHarry wrote:
Was anyone else excited to hear they were making a more "faithful" adaptation of Dune in the form of a mini-series? That was, what, about fifteen years after David Lynch's film version?

When that mini-series finally aired, I managed to stomach about eight minutes of it.

Oh, shit, I forgot about that. Perfect example.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:21 am 
Alien Squid Monster

behemoth wrote:
HappyHarry wrote:

Oh, shit, I forgot about that. Perfect example.

And then there's the Stephen King-commissioned Shining tv movie....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:28 am 
Minuteman

EmPiiRe x wrote:
If anyone thinks Snyder, or anybody, can go back and re-film stuff for a "special edition," do not fool yourself. Star Wars is beyond unique, and it was also being re-released in theaters in 1997, so there was a reason Fox financed going back and re-filming certain sequences (and even some entirely new ones). And the only reason they were re-releasing the original trilogy was to set up the coming prequel trilogy, which would be coming out two years later.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it was something done at Fox's behest. I thought it had always bugged Lucas, and he wanted to do it, and it seems like he would have done it whether or not it was being financed. They are bringing TDK back on January 23 for another theater run, I'm just saying... isn't it possible that if Watchmen made a mint, and the studio is asking Zach... where could we go with this? Who knows... but I guess factoring in all the logistics of actors, sets, extras, details, and additional foreshadowing scenes, a squid ending will never happen with this project. :|

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:11 pm 
I DID IT!

Valis wrote:

That one I remembered.

egosheep wrote:
I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it was something done at Fox's behest. I thought it had always bugged Lucas, and he wanted to do it, and it seems like he would have done it whether or not it was being financed. They are bringing TDK back on January 23 for another theater run, I'm just saying... isn't it possible that if Watchmen made a mint, and the studio is asking Zach... where could we go with this? Who knows... but I guess factoring in all the logistics of actors, sets, extras, details, and additional foreshadowing scenes, a squid ending will never happen with this project. :|

I think Lucas saw a way to make the movies he'd always envisioned after cgi was showcased in movies like T2. I don't know what the problem with the squid was but I won't believe the fx technology isn't available. It would suck as a generated image, but what fun it would have been to see a giant slimy model squid made out of rubber.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:15 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

behemoth wrote:
Valis wrote:

That one I remembered.

Oops! So you did. My mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:02 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I was actually thinking about this last night. I think in 20 years or so, the idea to remake the Watchmen movie might come around. And if they do, I actually think they should update it.

I figure, we're getting our 1980's-set Watchmen movie now, so what would be the point of ever remaking it like that? I'm pretty confident that Snyder's Watchmen is going to be as faithful to the graphic novel as any movie adaptation ever could be. So i figure, since we're already getting a faithful Watchmen movie, wouldn't it also be interesting to see an updated version of it sometime in the future? A movie where Manhattan and Comedian fought and won in Iraq instead of Vietnam. Where George W. Bush was elected president for 4 terms. Maybe it'll be China we're on the verge of war with by then instead of Russia. I think it'd be interesting.