WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:46 pm 
The Watcher

Film adaptation delivers an experience that’s worthy of the source and a triumph in its own right.
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/030609-watchmen-movie-review.php

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:04 pm 
The Watcher

Wow, I thought you guys were waiting for this. No comments?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 pm 
Minuteman

I thought it was a great review, very reassuring. I'll still hold out judgement 'till I actually see it. Premiere in one week here in Sweden -- wohoo!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

I agree that the movie works.It doesn´t ashame the book(LXG) nor changes it a lot(VfV),but it takes a lot to digest it.Saw it yesterday,and I´m still trying to process it.After a couple of reads,the novel sinks in.That my case with the movie.I´m still trying to let it sink in.But one thing I know,I´m gonna watch it on Monday.

P.S:Did the last journal came out?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:11 pm 
Vigilante

the review basically summed up my reaction. I really liked the movie, I personally think Snyder nailed it. I was very impressed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:26 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I agree that the motion-play was generally used well, though I do think that the action came dangerously close to Matrix improbability. Veidt, the Comedian and Rorschach all jumped and punched in ways that put heavy strain on my suspension of disbelief. Didn't break it, but came damn close. They were beautifully paced and just long enough, though, you got that right.

In the paragraph about realism and sympathy in regard to the gore, I'm surprised you didn't mention Dr. Manhattan's scene in Moloch's crime den. There's a lingering shot of some gangster's guts hanging from the ceiling that perfectly captures what you're talking about.

I'll agree that the ending does work on its own terms. It makes for a dramatically different story in terms of set-up and theme, but Snyder makes some very clever trade-offs to make it work (we didn't get the Orrery, but we got Dan beating some ambiguity into an uncertain Veidt).

JDM did indeed do a fantastic job, though I still think that he didn't express enough pain at being slashed across the face. It took a while for me to get used to Dr. Manhattan, though I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Visually, you're absolutely right. Snyder and his team took this graphic novel and made it their own, with mind-blowing results.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:32 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Definitely appreciate the review, it makes me feel good about going to see the movie. One review I read (I think it was Devin Faraci's?) mentioned that JDM is very heavy in the first forty minutes and then kind of disappears for the most part after that. He mentioned that it felt very awkward in that sense and was a bit of a shame since The Comedian is one of the better characters in the story. Did you feel this way as well?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:34 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Very good review.

I really think JDM was supposed to be in shock. There's a moment where he starts to come out of it, where he's clearly in pain, and it fills him with the rage that has been bubbling below the surface throughout the scene.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:28 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

I love this site DDC, and I know you're passionate about Watchmen. :)

But, honestly now, if the movie sucked, wouldn't you still give it a good review?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:30 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Good review DDC.

Pretty much sums up how I felt. I will say that my most pressing thought upon exiting the theater last night was "man I really want to see the directors cut."

I thought everyone did a decent (Im looking at you Malin) to fantastic job (JDM/JEH). Honestly, Crudup came off as kind of .. off. He certainly played Doc Manhattan how Id imagined it, but it just felt strange. And now that I really think of it, maybe that was the genius of his performance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:34 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

VforVacation wrote:
Good review DDC.
Honestly, Crudup came off as kind of .. off. He certainly played Doc Manhattan how Id imagined it, but it just felt strange. And now that I really think of it, maybe that was the genius of his performance.

YES, I really think so. It felt so distant, and otherworldly, but yet not in a stereotypical way at all.

Brilliant. He sounded so young, yet old.

of life to the decoding of the undulation of things."
-Nabokov, "Signs and Symbols"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:38 pm 
The Watcher

ROR-SHACK wrote:

But, honestly now, if the movie sucked, wouldn't you still give it a good review?

No. I understand I'm biased since I've been close to this production for a long time. But, I don't think it blinded me.

And if you think I'm in perpetual brown-nose mode with WB - wait until you read my review for the video game which will pretty much state that it's a total piece of crap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:14 pm 
Watchmaker

Great review.

I agree with almost everything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:28 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

wait...what makes you think you're so special that your review deserves an unique topic instead of merging it in the reviews thread?

:? :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:34 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Mere Being wrote:
wait...what makes you think you're so special that your review deserves an unique topic instead of merging it in the reviews thread?

:? :?

Every post on the main page gets its own thread. That's the policy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:49 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

I just figured I must improve my sense of humor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:53 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

DoomsdayClock wrote:
ROR-SHACK wrote:

No. I understand I'm biased since I've been close to this production for a long time. But, I don't think it blinded me.

And if you think I'm in perpetual brown-nose mode with WB - wait until you read my review for the video game which will pretty much state that it's a total piece of crap.

OMG i so cant belive you just said thet!
The End Is Nigh is an awesome game!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:55 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

I enjoyed The End is Nigh's demo and will probably buy the game tonight unless seven monkeys can convince me otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:35 pm 
Watchmaker

BlackDoomShadow wrote:
I enjoyed The End is Nigh's demo and will probably buy the game tonight unless seven monkeys can convince me otherwise.

Same here.

I agree with what T.V. said about Crudup's performance. Very weird and distant, yet very good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:03 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I might like the movie better after the second viewing, too, but right now I have problems understanding all the people who give 8.5-10/10s or keep saying that this is the best Watchmen movie we could have gotten. The DC might actually be the best Watchmen movie we will ever get, but I doubt it will be the best they could have made. They had the potential to create something really great and unique, but imo there are to many flaws to call it great. Unique it is, though. I did not hate it at all, still I did not leave the cinema with a smile... :?