WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Regarding the Wallpapers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:25 pm 
New Frontiersman

The screen resolution for my laptop is a strange 1280x800. As a result, the wonderful wallpapers on the site appear distorted on my desktop. I was wondering if maybe there were some way to release another resolution of the wallpapers that would be compatible with my monitor's resolution. Thank you in advanced, and I have to say that this is truly THE best source for Watchmen info on the 'net. You've even got the official movie site beat, IMHO.

The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking. The solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I would have become a watchmaker. - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:53 am 
The Watcher

I just installed Google Analytics on the site. This will let me know the most common resolutions of all visitors. Once I get a few weeks worth of data, I can adjust what sizes I design for the wallpaper. Seem fair?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:12 pm 
New Frontiersman

That's more than fair, that's wonderful. Thank you once again. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking. The solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I would have become a watchmaker. - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:40 am 
Minuteman

If you'd like, I may be able to edit a couple of wallpapers for you when I get home from work, Watchmaker. I was probably going to end up doing that anyway, as I use the same resolution at home that you do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:27 pm 
New Frontiersman

Well, DoomsdayClock was kind enough to do that for me with the one wallpaper I wanted, but thank you all the same, Roto13.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:33 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Roto13 wrote:
If you'd like, I may be able to edit a couple of wallpapers for you when I get home from work, Watchmaker. I was probably going to end up doing that anyway, as I use the same resolution at home that you do.

If you'd like to make more and contribute them to the site, I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:32 pm 
Minuteman

I'm afraid I don't have time for anything besides quick crop jobs these days. I can offer to resize the current wallpapers, but I doubt the admin would bother to accept my help with something so simple.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:35 pm 
The Watcher

Thanks Roto, I'll take care of it. Seems from my stats that your resolution is very popular. Look for new resolutions later tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:32 pm 
The Watcher

So how did I do? New resolutions are now available for all wallpapers. Also, there are a bunch of new designs. Let me know what you think, and don't be afraid to request a specific design. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:29 pm 
Crimebuster

Well, one thing I think should change is with the wallpaper that shows the phrase "who watches the watchmen" on Mason's garage.

Any observant Watchmen reader will notice that "who watches the watchmen" is never fully revealed in print at any time during the entire duration of the book. Only unfinished writing or careful cropping of the phrase appears, repeating over and over but never completely visible as a whole to the best of my knowledge.
I think it would be a good stylistic change if this wallpaper is edited, and part of the classic phrase was not visible. Just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:37 pm 
The Watcher

Hollis wrote:
Well, one thing I think should change is with the wallpaper that shows the phrase "who watches the watchmen" on Mason's garage.

Any observant Watchmen reader will notice that "who watches the watchmen" is never fully revealed in print at any time during the entire duration of the book. Only unfinished writing or careful cropping of the phrase appears, repeating over and over but never completely visible as a whole to the best of my knowledge.
I think it would be a good stylistic change if this wallpaper is edited, and part of the classic phrase was not visible. Just a suggestion.

You're right about part of the phrase always being obscured in the book, but it was never my intention to recreate an "a to b" replication of the panel in the book. I had found that photo of the garage exterior and got the idea to make a wallpaper that looked like the exterior to Mason's Auto Repairs. So it's really an "homage."

That being said. Welcome, Hollis. It seems you're going to fit in well around here. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:22 pm 
New Frontiersman

hey DD, how can i contribute to the wallpaper section? i found an awesome wallpaper on flickr made by a fan. thought i could share.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:32 pm 
The Watcher

Junky_dude wrote:
hey DD, how can i contribute to the wallpaper section? i found an awesome wallpaper on flickr made by a fan. thought i could share.

Just email it on over to me and I'll take a look...

Post subject: Wallpaper
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:16 am 
So impotent.

We need some more wallpapers on the site!!

Post subject: Re: Wallpaper
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:22 am 
Existence is random.

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/watch ... lpaper.php
4 pages of wallpapers is enough for me. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:27 pm 
A brother to dragons.

I could throw together a few basic logo wallpapers if anyone was interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:48 pm 
The Watcher

The Veidt Method wrote:
I could throw together a few basic logo wallpapers if anyone was interested.

Yeah, I've been meaning to ask you if you wanted to do that. The best way is to create them in all of the sizes I have represented on the site and send them to me in a zip file. You're obviously a very competent graphic artist, so I'm positive they'll look great. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:23 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Sure thing, DDC - just one thing, would you happen to have the Watchmen font? Futura Extra Bold Condensed, or something like that. I could only find a ghetto version of it for free.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:25 pm 
The Watcher

The Veidt Method wrote:
Sure thing, DDC - just one thing, would you happen to have the Watchmen font? Futura Extra Bold Condensed, or something like that. I could only find a ghetto version of it for free.

No problem. Coming to you via email shortly...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:16 am 
A brother to dragons.

I can do New Frontiersman, Nova Express, Veidt, and Rumrunner easy. I'm working on a Black Freighter one, which may or may not work out, but that one shouldn't be too difficult. What else would you like to see?