WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:24 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

if you want to be awkward you could ebay it, then whatever you earn, take that figure and work out how much percent of the original cost people put into the book in the first place and repay them the appropriate percent :D

or really you should ask people that gave you money what they want done with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:29 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

t3cii wrote:
So some of your classmates did help in paying for it?

I don't really have any advice, although I'll tell you that book will probably be useless in a year. Donate it to the library if you want, but a new book will be recommended the following year.

Each one paid 5.6 Peruvian Soles, I paid 30 Peruvian Soles, also, seven people didn't come forward when they assured they were going to pay.

The thing about this book it's that it's collected research from a renowned sociologist, it is quite the book to have, however, I am aware some people might not be happy with me trying to keep the book.

However, I will not give it away by lottery, I may donate it if push comes to shove.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:36 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
So some of your classmates did help in paying for it?

I don't really have any advice, although I'll tell you that book will probably be useless in a year. Donate it to the library if you want, but a new book will be recommended the following year.

Each one paid 5.6 Peruvian Soles, I paid 30 Peruvian Soles, also, seven people didn't come forward when they assured they were going to pay.

The thing about this book it's that it's collected research from a renowned sociologist, it is quite the book to have, however, I am aware some people might not be happy with me trying to keep the book.

However, I will not give it away by lottery, I may donate it if push comes to shove.

you and everyone else will always have the photocopies though right? as long as you don't lose them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:47 pm 

you and everyone else will always have the photocopies though right? as long as you don't lose them.

The course is over in two weeks, we won't need the book anymore, so it's really a matter of some people wanting to keep because it's written by THE José Matos Mar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:52 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:

The course is over in two weeks, we won't need the book anymore, so it's really a matter of some people wanting to keep because it's written by THE José Matos Mar.

well, you did pay more than they did.

also, no idea who that is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:59 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:

the photocopes would be written by him too... you're basically saying it's a prestige thing, in which case you should definitely donate it to the library, so no one has it, and since you paid more, you should have 6 times as much say as anyone else.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:09 pm 

the photocopes would be written by him too... you're basically saying it's a prestige thing, in which case you should definitely donate it to the library, so no one has it, and since you paid more, you should have 6 times as much say as anyone else.

You make a good point really, I mean, the photocopies are just as worthy in terms of content as the real book, and much much much cheaper, just doing basic math, a single photocopied page costs 0.05 cents, the book is 600 pages long, which sums up to a total of 30 Peruvian Soles.

But no one is really going to pay that due to a mix of lazyness and cheapness.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:18 am 

I don't know if this fits the "First World Problems" bill, but I'm pretty bummed out about it:

For my birthday, my mom gave me a 32'' LED screen TV which I had been vying for a while, playing videogames in a standard 27'' TV was "less than glamorous" to say the least, the image now just looks amazing, the level of detail ? Fuck me and call me Patricia level.

Now, after almost a month into the TV, I notice it has a goddamn horizontal scratch on the surface of the screen, kinda like the line left after you scratch a car with a key, it's not entirely noticeable when I play, but a part of it does stick out from time to time, it's a little jarring.

So I called Samsung today with my warranty and bill, and they said they couldn't change it since it's an issue the warranty doesn't cover, I could understand their position, but I didn't cause that scratch, and how do they know that the screen wasn't fucked up in the assembly line ?

So now, I have to go to the store AND HOPE they want to change it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:21 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
I could understand their position, but I didn't cause that scratch, and how do they know that the screen wasn't fucked up in the assembly line ?

How do they know you didn't scratch it?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:37 am 

t3cii wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
I could understand their position, but I didn't cause that scratch, and how do they know that the screen wasn't fucked up in the assembly line ?

And how do I know they didn't ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:44 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

And how do I know they didn't ?

Because they would probably assume since you were using the television for almost a month, that you would have noticed a scratch by now, and might be wondering why you waited this long to report it. A scratch isn't the same as, say, the television suddenly not working. It's more likely (to them) that the scratch was of you're doing, not theirs.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:29 pm 

t3cii wrote:
Because they would probably assume since you were using the television for almost a month, that you would have noticed a scratch by now, and might be wondering why you waited this long to report it. A scratch isn't the same as, say, the television suddenly not working. It's more likely (to them) that the scratch was of you're doing, not theirs.

Assuming doesn't mean they can lay claim to the truth, I don't think it's that irrational to say that the scratch wasn't noticeable due to the shining of the screen, hence why I didn't see it until I placed a white light unto it.

Seriously dude, it's a 30+ centimeter scratch, the kind that is done with a key on a car surface.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:48 am 

I don't know what it's like for you, but in the UK, there's A 30 day window after buying an item where the store that sold it have to give you a refund or exchange, by law, to give you a chance to find defects or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:14 am 

I don't know what it's like for you, but in the UK, there's A 30 day window after buying an item where the store that sold it have to give you a refund or exchange, by law, to give you a chance to find defects or whatever.

You know, I've always been fascinated by british culture.

Now I just fucking love it, next time, I'll make sure I buy a goddamn TV over there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:50 pm 

THE SCRATCH IS INSIDE, THE SCRATCH IS INSIDE !

THERE IS HOPE !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:57 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

hahahaha oh wow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:16 pm 

Consumer rights are awesome, good luck getting it replaced though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:42 pm 

Consumer rights are awesome, good luck getting it replaced though.

I think I got a chance, I hope I do at least, before I said to the Samsung Operator that the scratch was external, but now that it's inside, "below the glass", it's an entirely different matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:41 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Sowith my graduation coming in December, I've been thinking A LOT about my future. All those of you who know me, know that I want to make a living out of filmmaking someday. And I think I've been working hard at that. I've done quite a lot of short films, I'm pretty much writing all the time. Hell, I'm slated to direct a music video for a Chicago friend soon. My current job is pretty much being a videographer. But I don't want to stay here.

Juárez has been a mess the last couple of years. I've never dreamt of staying here but it wasn't until the violence erupted four years ago that I thought: I've got to get the fuck out of here. I go to school in the USA, in El Paso, the bordering city. I have to say that my experience with the local film scene, both in Juárez and El Paso has been a very frustrating one and I want to bail. I keep my eyes on going down south to Mexico to do a Master's because I love it over there. I especially want to go to Mexico City which is where all the mexican entertainment industry is.

But the thing is, while Juárez' murder rate is deciling, it's uprising in other mexican cities. And with the new "elected" president, I'm pretty sure the entertainment industry will plummet. Mexico has a very unstable film production ratio. There really aren't any big studios to help out and most mexican films get shit distribution. Television is dead here. There are three competing networks and most of what they air is shit. There is absolutely no room for originality or quality because of nepotism and downright idiocy. And with the president having been imposed with the support of one of the networks, it's obvious they will get more power than they've had. More power to make shit.

But as a mexican, employment in the USA or in Hollywood, where I'd like to be is out of reach. My school offers a program where you can work for a year in the USA in something related to your major but I'd have to find it first and then make a case that it's connected to my major.

And then I find that everything I hate about El Paso I could also find in a larger scale in Mexico City or Los Angeles. Yes, too much shit and too much ego runs free in El Paso. But meanwhile Mexico City is making fucking telenovelas and LA is making remakes, reboots and so on. So shit happens, I guess.

So in short, my options are:
1. Do an MFA in El Paso, which I don't want because for me it would just be a retread of my major and I've found I don't particularly like it there, even though a lot of the professors are rather great. But I'm just tired of this city. But this is a convenient option because I already have a place to stay and almost guaranteed employment as soon as I get in. But there is also the gamble if I'll get in or not and then the gamble of what I'll do in the eight months while I wait to be accepted. I work at school and I can only work there as long as I have credit hours there. For those eight months, I won't have anything and I don't want to delay getting my diploma because it's essential to the applications. But again, I'm also unsure because I don't know how will the USA treat me or my fellow mexicans. Truth is, these past four years it's been a pain in the ass dealing with customs. Even when I have everything right and legally, they still treat me like shit sometimes. But if Mitt Romney gets elected or if somehow Obama decides to go anti-mexican all of a sudden, either way I could be fucked.

2. Do an MFA in Juárez or further down south in Mexico: I've seen the programs and I love them but a lot of them ask me for a preview project of sorts. To give them an idea of what I'd like to do in my time there. And this is when I wish I had gone to school in Mexico instead. I feel that if I had, I would have a better idea of what to do, but since my major field of study is so separate from the mexican MFAs, I have absolutely no idea of what to offer as a project. And again, I'm scared because of the future of my own country. The violence, the new regime, it's all worth freaking out over, I think.

3. Try to land on the employment program. But this is kind of far, far, far-fetched because I need to find the job first, apply, get accepted, make my case and then go. And once again, with the new presidency, I'm not sure if this could get eliminated or not.

4. Fuck graduate school, fuck everything, go look for a job. But again, highly unlikely because a lot of jobs that are far away require a lot of experience. And those that don't, pay by comission. Hardly anything good to live by.

I like the idea of an MFA because I think I'd like to teach someday. But I also want to make movies someday. And I know that no matter what I do, it's irrelevant if I don't keep working at it. But I'm usually very negative about things, but in this case, I have no idea of what the future might be for me. Every choice feels like it could go either right or wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:44 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Well, this puts Feliciano's scratch in perspective.

Anyway, Oscar, you mention getting work might be difficult in the U.S., but would it be that far-fetched to try to go to school and work in L.A. or something? I mean, if you absolutely can't find work, then it's probably not plausible, but I don't actually know if you've tried or just discounted it beforehand. Honestly, though, that sounds like your best bet. The way you describe Mexico's situation seems precarious at best and I have to imagine things would be a little more stable over there in Hollywood or elsewhere.

In any case, two things are clear. 1) Fuck El Paso. 2) Fuck Juarez.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next