WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:43 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:
Several.

Yup, you lost all of them.

Nope, won the first, the next two were broken up before they could go anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 am 
Tired of Earth.

Some of you may remember a year ago when I vented about an old family friend with cancer. Well, I just got word a few hours ago that she finally slipped away.

It was hardly unexpected to hear that she died, but it's crappy news all the same. I guess some little part of me was hoping that she'd get better somehow. It also sucks that we went through last Christmas under the shadow of Diana's illness, and this year it'll be under the pall of her death.

The service is tentatively scheduled for Jan. 7th. She specifically asked for a service on a Saturday, so most of the staff at her old office would be able to make it. It's gonna be so hard going to the office tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:15 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Some of you may remember a year ago when I vented about an old family friend with cancer. Well, I just got word a few hours ago that she finally slipped away.

It was hardly unexpected to hear that she died, but it's crappy news all the same. I guess some little part of me was hoping that she'd get better somehow. It also sucks that we went through last Christmas under the shadow of Diana's illness, and this year it'll be under the pall of her death.

The service is tentatively scheduled for Jan. 7th. She specifically asked for a service on a Saturday, so most of the staff at her old office would be able to make it. It's gonna be so hard going to the office tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that man, for what it's worth, it's good that you had an idea the day could come, I can't imagine how bad it would've been if you hadn't been prepared for such news.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:18 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

So, I'm basically struggling to find actresses for some projects I want to do. I've tried a lot of different things and while I do get responses and people are interested, they don't commit and don't communicate with me. And it's not just actresses but mostly anyone I want to work with. :|

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:48 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Curi, I'm really sorry for your loss. It seems it's nearly everywhere these days, but the above person was right - at least you can be thankful you had more time to prepare and say your goodbyes. Many don't get that chance. My condolences and best wishes to you and your family.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:08 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
So, I'm basically struggling to find actresses for some projects I want to do. I've tried a lot of different things and while I do get responses and people are interested, they don't commit and don't communicate with me. And it's not just actresses but mostly anyone I want to work with. :|

Does your program not help you get in touch with actors or actresses for film projects? I'm sure they re are some out there that could use the experience.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:45 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

Does your program not help you get in touch with actors or actresses for film projects? I'm sure they re are some out there that could use the experience.

Unfortunately, no. And if I was to find any, they'd be in El Paso. I need people who can come to Juárez but nobody from El Paso wants to because of the violence here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:50 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Unfortunately, no. And if I was to find any, they'd be in El Paso. I need people who can come to Juárez but nobody from El Paso wants to because of the violence here.

Is it really as bad as they say out there in Juarez ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:55 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
t3cii wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

Can you not just film in El Paso? Also, I hope this doesn't sound naive, but is Juárez the kind of place where you'd have to ask permission to film there? Like, would some of the people be suspicious of a film crew?

feliciano182 wrote:
Is it really as bad as they say out there in Juarez ?

From the stories he's told me, I'd say so. I think Juárez is one of the most violent neighborhoods in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:04 am 

t3cii wrote:
From the stories he's told me, I'd say so. I think Juárez is one of the most violent neighborhoods in the world.

I don't want to brag, it's certainly nothing to be proud about, but I lived in a city where the death-by-gunshot rates were higher than those of The Second Gulf War.

It wasn't like people couldn't get out on the street without dodging bullets though, international newspapers sure as shit made a lot of money on violence where I come from, I had the impression Juarez was on a similar situation.

Then again, drug cartels are on a whole different level !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:56 am 
Nothing ever ends.

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

I don't want to brag, it's certainly nothing to be proud about, but I lived in a city where the death-by-gunshot rates were higher than those of The Second Gulf War.

It wasn't like people couldn't get out on the street without dodging bullets though, international newspapers sure as shit made a lot of money on violence where I come from, I had the impression Juarez was on a similar situation.

Then again, drug cartels are on a whole different level !

Daaaaaaamn feliciano, where you been living?! I clearly need to visit. This sounds like the best experience of my life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 am 

xMaliciousMal wrote:
Daaaaaaamn feliciano, where you been living?! I clearly need to visit. This sounds like the best experience of my life.

Caracas, Venezuela.

The most beautiful and dangerous valley in South America :) !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:02 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I don't plan on shooting out in the streets in Juárez. I'm too scared to do so and even if I wasn't, I don't want to put my actors or crew under any danger. I was planning on shooting in interiors to avoid that or in places that could be considered safe. I'm not sure if people would really be suspicious of a film crew. I know people who film in the streets and people don't care, meanwhile the cops or the military do, but it's not something constant.

And yeah, things are still very bad around here. However, I don't know if we've become used to it but overall it just doesn't feel as bad as it was before. Murders and crimes are still happening and we still have to be very cautious but it's no longer an everyday thing where there would be a massive amount of brutal murders, but instead, sometimes there are days where it does happen and then there are longer periods of calm than there were before. And local cops and authority have become more responsive to the whole deal and people are far more aware of what's going on and are willing to make the government have their demands met when it comes to safety. Also, there has been a lot of local work to give another image of the city and I think it has succeeded, people have more hope overall. And with Calderon's (the current president) current government ending this year, a lot of people are optimistic that things could change, even though political opinion is as always very divisive and competitive and people are frightened. IMO, I just don't like any of the candidates so far. One is a total philistine who has currently gotten a lot of press because in his speeches he has made people aware of how ignorant he is of many things. Another one is a guy who is completely in the left wing and that I think the lefties see as a total visionary, but truth is, if you know anything about politics, if you've ever picked up the fucking constitution, you will see that his ideas are nothing new and I just don't trust him. A lot of people don't realize he is just as shady as any other politician. Meanwhile, the current governing party hasn't selected a candidate but the possibles include two total morons and a woman who I'd vote for. She doesn't seem to be promising much and that's why I like her.

Overall, we'll see how it goes and if the candidates decide to continue the current war against crime. I think it should be continued but put under a completely different strategy. The one has been tried for the last six years has not given the best results and there should be a bigger emphasis on protecting citizens. And I'm sorry for the long rant, but I've been living under this kind of environment for four years now and I've had people that were very close to me die under it, and it has affected my lifestyle in an undeniable way. Including my filmmaking.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:23 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

While riding the subway today, I read an interview in a newspaper that was with the head of homicide in Toronto. In it, it said there were 46 murders in Toronto in 2011, down from 61 the previous year. Now to put that into perspective, in 2010 there were over 3000 murders in Juarez. Toronto has a population of about 2.5 million, while Juarez has a population of about 1.3 million. Those are some scary numbers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:36 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
While riding the subway today, I read an interview in a newspaper that was with the head of homicide in Toronto. In it, it said there were 46 murders in Toronto in 2011, down from 61 the previous year. Now to put that into perspective, in 2010 there were over 3000 murders in Juarez. Toronto has a population of about 2.5 million, while Juarez has a population of about 1.3 million. Those are some scary numbers.

A couple of days ago, sheets were put that said that the reason why the murder rate had gone down in Juárez recently was because there was barely anyone left to kill. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:46 pm 

t3cii wrote:
While riding the subway today, I read an interview in a newspaper that was with the head of homicide in Toronto.

How many by gun-shot ? Didn't say ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:17 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
A couple of days ago, sheets were put that said that the reason why the murder rate had gone down in Juárez recently was because there was barely anyone left to kill. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

That is so sad. I don't know how you manage to keep your sanity.

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
While riding the subway today, I read an interview in a newspaper that was with the head of homicide in Toronto.

How many by gun-shot ? Didn't say ?

This particular article didn't say, but doing a quick search online, in a year about half of them would have been gun related.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:39 pm 

t3cii wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

That is so sad. I don't know how you manage to keep your sanity.

I don't know how things are in Juarez, but back when I was in Caracas, where the murder rates are still the highest in South America, a lot of people from other countries asked me how I coped with it.

For the most part, killings in Caracas happened in the worst, poorer parts, bodies piling up were mostly gang-members offing each other, as well as bystanders, not saying it was right by any means, but I can't really admit that it was a situation where you couldn't get out to the street and get shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:47 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I question my sanity everyday. Then again, that's something I've been used to my whole life. I've been diagnosed with anxiety and OCD, but that was long before what is going on now.

All I can do is be grateful and thankful that I'm still alive and that a lot of my loved ones are fine. It's scary but like Feliciano, I just go out of my way to avoid situations or places where something might happen. Then again, you never know. Crazy things have happened everywhere so it's just a matter of being cautious wherever you go. It does put a dent on my social life, though. I've not dated anyone in almost three years now (There was a long distance relationship but that's another story) mostly because there really isn't anywhere to go to or that I'm afraid to keep taking a girl to the same places will bore her, but also because everyone is a lot more cautious of who they go out with, myself included. You really have to know the person in and out in order to feel safe. There are friends that I've avoided seeing because I know they are into drugs, and there have been ocassions of users getting gunned down as well. There really wasn't much to do in Juárez like ever, but at least you didn't have to be looking over your shoulder all the time. I try to keep myself balanced by just thinking about the immediate consequences and counting my lucky stars. It seems to be working. I did have a nervous breakdown a couple of years ago, but it was a confrontation I had with a Customs Officer that caused it, mixed with a lot of crap that was going on in my life, including the safety situation. But other than that, aside from my usual nerves that can affect my health from time to time, I'm pretty ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:52 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

feliciano182 wrote:
xMaliciousMal wrote:

Caracas, Venezuela.

The most beautiful and dangerous valley in South America :) !

Bitch don't know about Cordoba, Mendoza and Santa Cruz in Argentina :)

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next