WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
So, this happened.

Yikes, deja vu. Virtually the same thing happened in Toronto back in June. Sad to see it happen again, somewhere else. And so close to Christmas, which is generally a time for fun and festivities.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I realize how stupid it sounds to get so emotionally attached to a shopping mall, of all things, but it really is a place where I can feel safe and comfortable. I imagine that I'll still feel the same way once all of this has blown over, but it won't be the same.

I don't think it's stupid. Malls often play a part in our early lives. Especially if the mall happens to be located near the heart of the city. If I ever go to a movie, it's usually at a mall's cinema.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Mercifully, I was nowhere near the Town Center

Not going to lie, this gave me a bit of a chill, because there is a Town Centre that I occasionally go to. Spelling is different, but it goes to show you there are similar type malls all over the world. This really could have happened anywhere.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:56 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

I'm sure I'll have a resurgence eventually, but is it sad that I'm not even angry anymore? The Aurora shooting tipped me over the edge. I'm not sure when another shooting will phase me. Still, I just want it to stop.

I have a close connection to malls as well, Curi. It's pretty disturbing that something we can hold so dear can be violated so casually and ultimately. I suppose we as a people should have learned this a long time ago, however. As for the shooter's strange methodology, I'm curious about that too. Unsubstantiated as it may be, I read one report of the shooter saying "I'm the shooter" before opening fire. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this case.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
With only two people dead (three, counting the shooter) and one injured, I'd say we got off lucky.

And isn't that sad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 am 
Tired of Earth.

Godziller66 wrote:
I'm sure I'll have a resurgence eventually, but is it sad that I'm not even angry anymore? The Aurora shooting tipped me over the edge.

'Ziller, if I'm being entirely honest with myself, I seriously doubt I'd have cared so much about this particular case if it hadn't happened within walking distance of my house.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:18 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Curi I know exactly how you feel. Here in Omaha a few years ago there was a shooting at this mall around here, Westroads mall. At the Von Maur inside. I've been going there my entire life. Literally. I have memories there since I was like... 3. And to think I was walking again on floors where people bled and died was just... unnerving.
And also, I had plans to go there the day before the shooting. So it was kinda surreal.
It's not ten minutes from where I currently live.
So yeah.

It's a strange feeling.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:26 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

As someone who's had to go through this kind of thing everyday, I must say that it's always saddening and sickening to hear of events like these. Especially in a place where a shooting is not status quo and people don't have to be living looking over their shoulder. I'm really saddened by this, Curi. And even if I don't know them at all, my condolences and prayers are with the victims and their families. I hope you are doing fine. I've had plenty of shoot outs happen close to where I live and I've been in the middle of one myself and it's always surreal and shocking, you can never brush it off. Especially if it's a place that you frequent and that means something to you. It's not foolish to say you have an emotional attachment to a mall, not at all. I frequent them in my city because they are the safest places to be and even before they've had their share of disturbing happenings, but they are meaningful to me because they are places where I've been on dates, hung out with friends, I could go on. To see a place like that corrupted is heartbreaking and sad. I hope you are doing ok.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:23 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

t3cii wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

Not going to lie, this gave me a bit of a chill, because there is a Town Centre that I occasionally go to. Spelling is different, but it goes to show you there are similar type malls all over the world. This really could have happened anywhere.

Not sure if serious :|

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:02 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

t3cii wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

What? I'm just saying, there's probably a "Town Center" in every city. That one mall that everyone goes to, that they never would dream would be a site for violence. There's often this sentiment when an act of violence is committed where people will say something like "only in America", that this is a uniquely American problem. But it isn't. That the mall reminded me of a mall that I go to, is what makes this feel so close to home. Because it easily could have happened here (and actually, there was a shooting outside the mall I'm thinking of, a few months ago).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:42 pm 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

t3cii wrote:
t3cii wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

What? I'm just saying, there's probably a "Town Center" in every city. That one mall that everyone goes to, that they never would dream would be a site for violence. There's often this sentiment when an act of violence is committed where people will say something like "only in America", that this is a uniquely American problem. But it isn't. That the mall reminded me of a mall that I go to, is what makes this feel so close to home. Because it easily could have happened here (and actually, there was a shooting outside the mall I'm thinking of, a few months ago).

Sorry then, it was just the quip you made about the spelling of centre made me unsure. Now you mention it I do remember you saying about the shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:06 pm 

I'm significantly more angry now that they all have names and faces.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/oregon/183442091.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:30 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Just when you think the wounds from Aurora have been healing well, this happens.

This is seriously happening too much for the kind of country the US is, though it doesn't surprise me as well, hate to be the first to politicize this issue, but more gun control is necessary here.

And while I don't come from an area that is as volatile as where TMD lives, I've been a little closer to violence than I would've liked, I guess the best advice I can give is to always assume calm when in a violent situation, try to see yourself at a time in the future where you could be held at gun-point, and affirm to yourself that you're going to be calm, if you're lucky, you might remember that and not make a bad decision out of fear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:39 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
Just when you think the wounds from Aurora have been healing well, this happens.

This is seriously happening too much for the kind of country the US is, though it doesn't surprise me as well, hate to be the first to politicize this issue, but more gun control is necessary here.

seriously feli, don't bring up that point. tighter gun control won't change shit.

not only that, but the kid stole the weapon that he used.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:57 pm 

WJK wrote:

I fucking love this, I mean, let's just not make any laws whatsoever for any kind of criminal offense, right ?

WJK wrote:
seriously feli, don't bring up that point. tighter gun control won't change shit.

not only that, but the kid stole the weapon that he used.

Actually, the assault rifle was semi-automatic, now I don't know if the laws have changed lately, but as I heard it, most firearms are fitted to fire only in semi-auto even if they were meant to be fired in full-auto.

If the AR-15 the shooter was carrying had been automatic, the spraying of the gun could've hurt and even killed more people, that is a regulation right there that prevented worse consequences.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:21 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Sadly, I think that this article might not be very far off with regard to the shooter's motive. So far, nobody seems to have any clue as to what made the guy snap.

It's sad to think that psych screenings -- which were put in place to keep exactly this sort of thing from happening -- wouldn't have helped in this case, because his weapon was stolen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:32 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Will gun control help? Sure.

Will it help a lot? That remains to be seen.

Not only that Feli, but if you lived in America, you would understand.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:59 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
It's sad to think that psych screenings -- which were put in place to keep exactly this sort of thing from happening -- wouldn't have helped in this case, because his weapon was stolen.

Unfortunate in this case, though I've been thinking that if the practice of psych testing and therapy had been more widespread, then perhaps he could've received proper psychological attention, perhaps preventing him from going forward with the attack.

A very big "if", sadly.

WJK wrote:
but if you lived in America, you would understand.

Right, only in 'murica is preserving a hobby more important than preserving life.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 pm 

I don't even know how to respond anymore. Twenty-seven people are dead including at least a dozen children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20730717

And this one's practically in my backyard. Someone needs to do something. I don't know what, but this needs to stop. And if dead children doesn't get someone to take action, then I'm pretty sure nothing ever will.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Godziller66 wrote:
I don't even know how to respond anymore. Twenty-seven people are dead including at least a dozen children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20730717

And this one's practically in my backyard. Someone needs to do something. I don't know what, but this needs to stop. And if dead children doesn't get someone to take action, then I'm pretty sure nothing ever will.

This is just awful. School shootings are always tragic, but this...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:53 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

This is just...I don't know. Two shootings in less than a week. What the fuck is going on? As per usual, the whole gun control thing wants to pop out here again, but this kind of thing, it just surpasses any talk of politics you can bring into it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:42 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
This is just...I don't know. Two shootings in less than a week. What the fuck is going on? As per usual, the whole gun control thing wants to pop out here again, but this kind of thing, it just surpasses any talk of politics you can bring into it.

It goes without saying that tragedies like this go beyond simple measures of gun control.

Still, I'll refrain this time from further comment, this is just too much.

Post subject: Fuck the NRA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:18 pm 
A brother to dragons.

feliciano182 wrote:
It goes without saying that tragedies like this go beyond simple measures of gun control.

Still, I'll refrain this time from further comment, this is just too much.

I won't. No one needs to own assault weapons. No one. No one needs access to fucking Glocks, and Sigs, and AR-15's, and whatever the fuck. They serve no practical purpose except for that which was intended: Intentional murder of fellow human beings. These are not hunting weapons, and only the truly ill and paranoid would try to claim they're useful for home protection.

Unfortunately, the truly ill and paranoid have easy access to assault rifles and pistols, and high capacity magazines to go with them, like the profoundly disturbed Aurora shooter, the Virginia Tech shooter, and probably this freakshow that's responsible for today's horror.

Better mental health services with proper funding (take it out of the Pentagon's budget, they'll never miss it) and a ban on assault weapons would have prevented this week's tragedy from happening.

Or we could just carry on and do nothing, and get all freaked out again next week.

Please, anyone, feel free to explain to me why someone would need to own assault weapons. I would love to hear your opinion (WJK, maybe?). I'll be perfectly rational.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next