WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuck the NRA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:40 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Broken Finger wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
It goes without saying that tragedies like this go beyond simple measures of gun control.

Still, I'll refrain this time from further comment, this is just too much.

I won't. No one needs to own assault weapons. No one. No one needs access to fucking Glocks, and Sigs, and AR-15's, and whatever the fuck. They serve no practical purpose except for that which was intended: Intentional murder of fellow human beings. These are not hunting weapons, and only the truly ill and paranoid would try to claim they're useful for home protection.

Unfortunately, the truly ill and paranoid have easy access to assault rifles and pistols, and high capacity magazines to go with them, like the profoundly disturbed Aurora shooter, the Virginia Tech shooter, and probably this freakshow that's responsible for today's horror.

Better mental health services with proper funding (take it out of the Pentagon's budget, they'll never miss it) and a ban on assault weapons would have prevented this week's tragedy from happening.

Or we could just carry on and do nothing, and get all freaked out again next week.

Please, anyone, feel free to explain to me why someone would need to own assault weapons. I would love to hear your opinion (WJK, maybe?). I'll be perfectly rational.

As someone who lived/has lived through what could be called a warzone, I can understand people's sentiments of wanting to own guns for self-defense. But as I said when Aurora happened; A handgun, I can understand. Maybe even a rifle. Anything that can help you in self-defense. But why do we need assault rifles and pistols? Tear gas? I know that wasn't employed in today's shooting, but even then why the fuck? America is not even a war zone that Mexico is. Why would anyone need that? Also how is it that people that James Holmes and Ryan Lanza have access to those weapons? Until those questions can be resolved, I'll be baffled. And yes, assholes will always find a way around the law, but that doesn't mean the powers that be should sit on their asses and think about this issue.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I have a hypothesis: The Oregon shooter and the Connecticut shooter were both killed by self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Suicide rates usually go up during the holiday season.

Personally, I think that these two particular individuals just wanted to go out and take a whole bunch of other people with them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:45 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I have a hypothesis: The Oregon shooter and the Connecticut shooter were both killed by self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Suicide rates usually go up during the holiday season.

Personally, I think that these two particular individuals just wanted to go out and take a whole bunch of other people with them.

It's not a bad theory. It provides a false sense of security of sorts, though. This will happen again outside of December. Unless, y'know, it's prevented.

But it probably won't be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:53 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Curiosity Inc. wrote:

I guess that under some bizarre logic that would beat spending christmas alone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:44 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

You can talk all you want about gun control, but what do you do if the assailant uses a knife? :http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/14/chinese-children-knife-primary-school

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:30 pm 

t3cii wrote:
You can talk all you want about gun control, but what do you do if the assailant uses a knife? :http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/14/chinese-children-knife-primary-school

While also tragic, no one's dead, to pretend that a knife has the same destructive power as an automatic assault rifle is ludicrous.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:36 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

The rest of the world gets on pretty swell with strict gun laws. We don't have to own guns for "self-defense" because no one else owns them to cause harm. It's pretty simple.

http://vimeo.com/korireaymackey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:59 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

While also tragic, no one's dead, to pretend that a knife has the same destructive power as an automatic assault rifle is ludicrous.

Yes. That was exactly what I was saying. :roll:

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:12 pm 

t3cii wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

This is what sarcastic purple is for.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:27 pm 

t3cii wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

Please don't hurt me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:33 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Apparently, he did not even buy the guns, but they were his mother's, who has been described as a "gun nut." So now the issue won't be so much that a mentally ill person can buy them, but that they also can't have any access to them whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:34 pm 
A brother to dragons.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Apparently, he did not even buy the guns, but they were his mother's, who has been described as a "gun nut." So now the issue won't be so much that a mentally ill person can buy them, but that they also can't have any access to them whatsoever.

Well, that sounds ideal. Not so coincidentally, and according to the latest reports, that dude's mother was the first to be killed. If only she had some way of protecting herself... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:19 am 

So this is, like, the fourth shooting in a month and this one is an hour away from me.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... t/1788917/

Two things about this. One, our system is broken because this guy didn't get a life sentence for fucking murdering his grandmother with a hammer and two, our gun control laws are broken as it's been reported that he was using an assault rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:25 am 
Tired of Earth.

Our system is broken because he's a felon and therefore shouldn't have been allowed access to a gun in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:57 am 
Tired of Earth.

if anyone really thinks guns are the problem here they are a moron. this is some deranged old fart snapping once again when (as previously stated) he should have been given a life sentence or imo put down.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00 pm 
Tired of Earth.

The system absolutely failed in this case. In fact, tighter gun regulations wouldn't have helped any of the cases we've seen so far, since the shooters all obtained their weapons illegally.

It would be a very good idea to crack down harder on our existing laws before screwing things up with new ones. Also, gun owners would be wise to remember that their arsenal does not make them immune from harm and would therefore be wise to store their guns in a secure manner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:10 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Our system is broken because he's a felon and therefore shouldn't have been allowed access to a gun in the first place.

Isn't that gun control as well ?

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
The system absolutely failed in this case. In fact, tighter gun regulations wouldn't have helped any of the cases we've seen so far, since the shooters all obtained their weapons illegally.

I don't know if I've said it before, but assault rifles in the US fire on semi-auto, if you spray an AR-15 on a school hallway, you would've gotten much more casualties and wounded, that is gun control right there that nobody can deny it has worked.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:18 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

Isn't that gun control as well ?

I think we might be on different pages here. Either that or I'm mistaken.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure that those with a history of mental illness or criminal activity are barred from legally purchasing firearms. That's not proposed legislation, that's the law of the land right now.

Yet somehow, multiple times over the past year, people with mental illness or criminal records have gotten hold of guns. How did that happen?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:11 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Yet somehow, multiple times over the past year, people with mental illness or criminal records have gotten hold of guns. How did that happen?

Well, in some cases, people just don't do their jobs. Cho, the Virginia Tech shooter, probably wouldn't have been able to obtain his firearms had he been reported to the FBI database by his psychiatrist as should have been the case according to Virginia mental health and gun regulations.

Also, while William Spengler did not legally own his weapons, tighter gun laws may have made it more difficult to obtain them. For example, I assume we're all aware of the gun show loophole. Although it's not legal for him to purchase firearms, purchases at gun shows do not require background checks. I'm not saying this is how he obtained his guns, but it's just one example of many demonstrating how broken our priorities are.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:52 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure that those with a history of mental illness or criminal activity are barred from legally purchasing firearms. That's not proposed legislation, that's the law of the land right now.

Aurora challenges your assertion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next