WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:34 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Uh-oh...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:51 pm 
Indestructible Man

Must remember to investigate further.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:59 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

People must be told.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:05 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

No...

This is Patrick...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:50 pm 
The Watcher

Meetings allegedly happening at DC to discuss launch of new spinoffs.
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/101911-watchmen-comic-dc-prequels.php

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:59 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Bring it on! Such a rich world to extrapolate upon. If Moore can mess with Jules Verne and H.G. Well's characters in a new way, then he should relax and see the same thinking applies to him. Unless he considers the works of the Great Magus Moore to be above the same meddling due mere authors of pulpy scientifiction?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:32 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Wasn't surprised, Didio was absurdly ambiguous when asked in an interview on CBR, same goes for Dave Gibbons.

Now why on Earth would he, of all people, want to do this ? No idea.

But of course, money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:49 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

My theory is that they'll do what they did with Vertigo and Wildstorm for the new52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:09 pm 

Smutty wrote:
My theory is that they'll do what they did with Vertigo and Wildstorm for the new52

Meaning whatever title gets the axe first gets replaced by Watchmen then ?

If I may ask, who's that on your avatar ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:15 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

feliciano182 wrote:
Smutty wrote:

Meaning whatever title gets the axe first gets replaced by Watchmen then ?

Nah, I mean how Grifter, Stormwatch, Voodoo, Fairchild, Constantine, Animal Man and Swamp Thing have been integrated (or reintegrated, as is the case for the latter three) into the DCU. It has nothing to do with any books getting the axe.

feliciano182 wrote:

Magik from New Mutants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:17 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Smutty wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

Magik from New Mutants

Fun Fact: The question on the second to last Sci-fi night sign in sheet at my college was "Favorite Heroine". I put Illyana Rasputin.

Like a boss.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 pm 

Mister Pain wrote:
Bring it on! Such a rich world to extrapolate upon. If Moore can mess with Jules Verne and H.G. Well's characters in a new way, then he should relax and see the same thinking applies to him. Unless he considers the works of the Great Magus Moore to be above the same meddling due mere authors of pulpy scientifiction?

*Stabs Mister Pain in the heart*

Move along, nothing to see here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:40 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Is Alan Moore writing it? No? THEN DON'T FUCKIN DO IT!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:42 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:

*Stabs Mister Pain in the heart*

Move along, nothing to see here.

He has a point, though.

(ducks :? )

This is something that Moore does all the time, using already established characters and involving them in new scenarios. So, why not do it with Watchmen? I'm sure someone here wouldn't mind reading a Comedian in Vietnam story, or Rorschach investigating some criminal, or further exploits of the Nite Owl II. I think the only problem would be if they were trying to do a direct sequel, or something taking place after the original story.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 pm 

A sequel CANNOT work.

Prequels are a must. Reminds me of the rich territory time-wise between Clones and Sith in the Star Wars chronology that has resulted in Clone Wars.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:24 pm 

t3cii wrote:
He has a point, though.

(ducks :? )

*Pulls out shotgun*

BOOM !!!

*Misses*

Dammit t3cii ! Stand still !

t3cii wrote:
This is something that Moore does all the time, using already established characters and involving them in new scenarios. So, why not do it with Watchmen? I'm sure someone here wouldn't mind reading a Comedian in Vietnam story, or Rorschach investigating some criminal, or further exploits of the Nite Owl II. I think the only problem would be if they were trying to do a direct sequel, or something taking place after the original story.

When I see big names like Darwyn Cooke and Brian Azzarello being thrown around, I have difficulty saying no.

But I think some people seem to forget how obvious of a money-grab this is, specially when it's accompanied by a consistently insulting treatment to a writer that unlocked and rocketed the potential of comics beyond the solar system, he did a fantastic job, and he can't even be allowed to say "This is my shit, I made it, and I want to have a say on it", it disgusts me that this is the way that creators are treated nowadays, and the truth of the matter is that people don't really give a crap, when Jason Aaron can get away with the shit he said a few months back it shows how easy some "fans" can forget.

Maybe I'm looking too much on the moral angle of the issue, but I can't dodge it, seeing something new from the Watchmen universe would be insulting to me and the people in comics who I hold very dear, not saying that it can't be good, but I don't have to like it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:29 pm 
Indestructible Man

Mister Pain wrote:
Prequels are a must. Reminds me of the rich territory time-wise between Clones and Sith in the Star Wars chronology that has resulted in Clone Wars.

Dude, when we're discussing the artistic integrity of a given franchise, do everyone a favor and don't ever use Star Wars as an example.

Honestly, I'm asking myself why I'm even surprised at this news. Given this news, plus the recent continuity reboot that no one asked for, it seems obvious that DC is so desperate to attract new readers that they'll gladly risk pissing off their fanbase to do it.

This also leads me to believe that whatever DC is planning, it has to be a prequel. It would be just like them to make something that would attract new readers and end in a way that points them toward the original graphic novel. There's no way to do that with a sequel, since it inherently precludes anyone who isn't already familiar with the original text.

The only alternative is if they reboot the original text itself. And if that happens, I swear by my Bachelor's degree that (my copies of Watchmen excepted) I will post a video online of me burning every DC-published comic in my possession.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:37 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:

Dude, when we're discussing the artistic integrity of a given franchise, do everyone a favor and don't ever use Star Wars as an example.

Haha! Nice.

To my mind, as Clone Wars progressed, it saved that 'period' of the Star Wars thing, also providing fans with some of the most Jedi-istic niceness outside the Old Republic games and adding much-needed nuance to Anakin's journey towards the dark side.

My point being, that additional story arcs set outside the bulk of a much loved 'franchise' (FUCK I hate using that word!) can enrich and entertain.
Goes without saying that the best and brightest should handle the writing etc.
But every character from Wolverine to Superman has had freaky one-offs and backstory diversions. Why should Rorschach be any different?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:00 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Mister Pain wrote:
Haha! Nice.

To my mind, as Clone Wars progressed, it saved that 'period' of the Star Wars thing, also providing fans with some of the most Jedi-istic niceness outside the Old Republic games and adding much-needed nuance to Anakin's journey towards the dark side.

I agree.

Regarding the Watchmen prequels: wether I like the idea or not (which I don't), I'll end up reading them. Do I think it takes away from the uniqueness and purpose of the graphic novel? Yes. Do I have a choice to ignore their existence if they end up being not so good? Yes. I think I have nothing to loose, then.

P.S: Why is this on the movie forum? :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:49 am 
The Watcher

feliciano182 wrote:
But I think some people seem to forget how obvious of a money-grab this is...

I honestly think DC has better ways of making money with much more loved and popular characters they can exploit. Why would DC and other well-know comics professional line up for ridicule if they didn't think their efforts would produce something fans would like and appreciate? That's quite a risk just for the chance at a few bucks.

My guess is these will be prequels. I can't see them doing a sequel without really pissing everyone off.

Am I for this? Well, if it's taken very seriously, done very well, and all involved have Mr. Moore's conscious whispering in their ears during the entire process, then, it could be good. It's playing with fire, so I hope all involved know what they're doing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next